Should I get a camber kit?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rage-DCA

First of all, thanks for all the help on my last post.

I had the alignment done and things got better. At least I wasn't going all of the road anymore. I was still bouncing all over the place so I went ahead and ordered Bilstein HD Struts and H&R OE Sport Springs. Made the car look real nice with the 0.75" drop. So I took it in for an alignment and ran into an interesting problem I'm hoping someone can offer some pointers on.

I took it into Firestone after the strut & spring install. The results from the second alignment were quite odd which made me realize that the same problem existed on the first but at the time was in range. The new struts and springs dropped the car about .75" as H&R had specified. Firestone approved my install so everything should be okay there.

Here are the results of the alignment.

Range:
LF & RF - Cam: -1 to +1, Cas: 0.67 to 2.67, Toe: -0.04 to 0.12
LR & RR - Cam: -2 to 0, Toe: 0.04 to 0.16

Original:
LF - Cam: 0.06, Cas: 1.96, Toe: 0.06
RF - Cam: -0.77, Cas: 1.4, Toe: 0.05
LR - Cam: -0.77, Toe: 0.07
RR - Cam: -1.68, Toe: 0.09
(notice how the right side of the car is way different than the left)

After Struts & Springs:
LF - Cam: -0.6, Cas: 1.69, Toe: 0.05
RF - Cam: -1.4, Cas: 1.06, Toe: 0.04
LR - Cam: -1.23, Toe: 0.07
RR - Cam: -2.12, Toe: 0.07
(notice the camber on the right side of the car is now outside the specs)

I'm not exactly sure why the vehicle is like that. They told me I had a big issue. One guy mentioned a camber kit to fix the out of spec camber on the right side. I called H&R and they were scratching their heads too. They thought my car was in a wreck.

What would ya'll recommend? Is the camber on the right side okay? I noticed that the car actual rode better on the original alignment with the struts and springs installed than it did after the second alignment. Would you recommend a camber kit to fix the problem? If so, what brand would be best? I was looking at Ingalls or Progress to fix the problem. I heard bad things from a few different forums after a Google search concerning the Skunk2 Camber Kit so I was thinking this wouldn't be a wise decision. What has been your experience with the different kits out there. What would be best for a small drop that will be durable due to my rough driving on the vehicle?

Again, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

for the rear, you can do a simple shim job to fix the rear camber. what you do is go to homedepot, buy some bolts of the same thread but a tad longer then the ones that mount your upper control arm to the body, and buy a few washers and build it up. Remember, some camber is good and improves handling, and with proper toe specs, increased tire were will not happen.

rear camber fix

Yep what he said. Do the washer trick if you want less rear camber. I would also check the ride height or do the alignment with you in the drivers seat, that will probably even out the difference between the left and right sides. But anyways, for the front, I would get a set of adjustable UCAs to correct or at least even out the camber. Forget about Ingalls or any of those other camber kits that replace the UCA pivot points, as they change castor when you adjust camber. Pick up a set of Skunk2 UCAs and use lock washers on the camber adjustment slots and grind the paint off where the bolt tightens, or they will slip. And FWIW, shocks, not struts....good luck!!

Back