should i get a different fuel pump for b20/b16 swa

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

I did a swap into my 1997 civic 2 dr coupe hx. The swap is the b20b block with a b16 vtec head. I am having trouble starting and my engine cuts out at 6700. I am using the stock fuel pump. Should i upgrade to a si or gsr fuel pump.

Khai

I had the same problem and was even throwing a code for fuel tank presure sensor until i put in a b16 fuel pump and now it runs great

i am not sure if it is related to the fuel pump cause i just installed my built lsvtec (12.3:1 c.r) motor and have no fuel issues. I will have to upgrade my fuel pump due to my high compression ratio. Your issues sounds like ecu, injector, or sensors. Are you getting any codes?

Yeah i have a coolant temperature or level low input code (code 6) and something about the vtec. I have no vtec yet and my car cuts out at 6700. My ecu is a p72. (Gsr i believe)

for starters it sounds like for sure your ecu is looking for secondary butterflies to activate, also when you have cel's your ecu runs in limp mode, it doesn't let the car run, strong so that you can't literally break shit.

Milan

Thanks milan for the help. So since i am throwing codes my engine sets the redline at 6700? If my ecu is looking for secondary butterflies what should i do? Also why do you say that it is looking for seondary butterflies? Is that startup related?

Are there larger injectors in you car say 440?

Not sure but if i were you, i'd chage the water, oil, and fuel pumps to GSR, and since you'd get the water pump, you'd have to get the timing belt too. It'd be a lot better. The P72 ECU should work fine with what you got. But im not sure what the actual problem is.

a p72 ecu is a obd1 GSR ecu, he is running a motor without the butterflies...and there is a plug for that, so if that isn't plugged then the ecu is goign to detect that, then codes go up...

yeah you need a different ecu, the gsr looks for the secondary butterflies and your setup does not have them so your ecu throws a code and your ecu runs in safe mode and you have no power, your car starts like crap, no vtec, all that good stuff.

Thanks a ton for the help guys, i guess that is the explanation for why my car has been starting so crappy. It idles up and downs and dies sometimes and i have to let it warm up for a long time. IS there a different ecu i can run that is direct plug and play. I have a si ecu, but the plugs are different. Anyone have one, I have an si and a gsr ecu up for grabs? lol
Thanks again
KHai

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 6 2003, 11:57 PM
a p72 ecu is a obd1 GSR ecu, he is running a motor without the butterflies...and there is a plug for that, so if that isn't plugged then the ecu is goign to detect that, then codes go up...

like b16 said in another post, i dont think the butterflies will throw a code. i mean how would you install the skunk2 manifold without trowing a code? the skunk2 installs fine and wont throw a code, yet it doesnt have butterflies <_< he said the only code hes getting is for coolant sensor or something, he didnt say he was throwing a code for butterflies.

your ecu may still be the problem, it might not have the right fule maps to run a b20vtec. try a p73 ecu, but im almost positive its not becasue of secondaries.

Back