1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get bigger valves for NA B16A??

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by thompy.mark, Oct 26, 2007.

1. thompy.mark

thompy.mark New Member

Just wondering if I should be looking into getting bigger valves for my NA B16A build. Here's what I've got so far...

Buddyclub Spec 3+ cams
    Double Valve Springs
    Ti Retainers
    Adj Cam Gears
    Skunk2 Intake Manifold w 70mm throttle body (possibly upgrading to ITB's at some stage in the future if the wallet allows...:D)

Will also be getting some aftermarket extractors on there at some stage too, into a 2.5" exhaust.

The head is at the shop at the moment getting a port and polish, and while its there I want to get some stainless valves. Herein lies the question...Should I be going oversize, or stay with the stock sizing? I know the PR3 head flows reasonably well with the stock size, but I guess its really a matter of weighing up extra volume (oversize valves) against slightly higher air velocity (stock) which will then allow for better air/fuel mixing.

Thoughts/advice anyone??

2. Hatchyspeed

Hatchyspeed B20/TypeR Head

is your head port n polished?!? need a little more info then that one what to do i mean if ur heads got no valve angle job 3 / 5 ? u kno or its not port n polished i see no reason in going with bigger valves..

3. thompy.mark

thompy.mark New Member

The head is in at the shop at the moment, what I'm really after is:

Is it worthwhile getting larger valves (and the required head work such as port and polish, valve job etc)? Just re-read my previous post, it wasn't too clear sorry.

4. powerdriverh22

powerdriverh22 Senior Member

exactly. on h22's it is not possible to open both intake and exhaust valve openings with just s2s2's. most ive seen with those cams was .5mm on the intake side.

b16 heads flow well so i dont think you need the bigger valves.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted