Should I Go With B18 Or B20?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcUrA_TuNeR

Hi All
Ok....I bought an acura integra 99 and need help with engine tuning. I have between 10k to 17k to spend to get to more power I can. So, a lot of people I know r telling me to go with a CRV block (B20) and some others to tune a GSR (B18). That's the first questions; which one??? I'm noob with honda so, the more informations you guys can give me, the more i'll learn and I'm thankful for your help.

how fast do you want to go? do you drive this every day? do you want to drag race ? auto cross? road race?

hmm with that sort of money i would go for a rebore/resleeved gsr block and turbo it, or if you like autoX strap on a supercharger.

with 17 grand, you can build an all out race car and run 9's. seriously.

whats your ultimate goal for the car?

Yeah if your 99 Integra is a GSR, then keep the B18C. It is a good platform and you could put that money spent getting the B20 block elsewhere. If it is a B18B... I would keep it too and go either the LS/T route or LS/VTEC route. But knowing me I am all about boost. So people who know me here whould know that I would go the LS/T route.

i would go for the tuned gsr block. they say the vtec engines have stronger parts. the gsr also has a better r/s ratio than the ls and cr-v engines; which means you can rev it a little higher if you need to safely.

Well....I'm mostly a street racer....So what I'm looking for is a lot of torque but also max speed....My ultimate goal is to get the fastest and quickest car I can get....I'm very indulgent....I've been looking for informations for about 3 years to get the most powerful engine I could get but....nothing was responding to my demands....So I wanna do between 9 to 12 sec on 1/4 miles and be able to reach 240 km/h and over....if possible of course....I hope you guys now understand what I'm looking for....thx again :)

9-12 seconds is a HUGE difference
240km/h (144mph) is not that hard to reach .... doing it remotly safely though is another story

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 5 2003, 05:34 PM
9-12 seconds is a HUGE difference
240km/h (144mph) is not that hard to reach .... doing it remotly safely though is another story

its only the difference between not-streetable and streetable, no big deal :ph34r:

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jun 5 2003, 12:02 PM
i would go for the tuned gsr block. they say the vtec engines have stronger parts. the gsr also has a better r/s ratio than the ls and cr-v engines; which means you can rev it a little higher if you need to safely.

Anytime when you want to quit spreading this RS ratio BS would be good.

Who says VTEC engines have stonger parts? Can you prove it? The only reasons I think that the GSR is more stable in stock form past 8000 are the girdle and the rod bolts. If you add some forged rods/pistons both engines would be good to go much higher.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Jun 5 2003, 06:40 PM-->
@Jun 5 2003, 12:02 PM
i would go for the tuned gsr block.  they say the vtec engines have stronger parts.  the gsr also has a better r/s ratio than the ls and cr-v engines; which means you can rev it a little higher if you need to safely.

Anytime when you want to quit spreading this RS ratio BS would be good.

Who says VTEC engines have stonger parts? Can you prove it? The only reasons I think that the GSR is more stable in stock form past 8000 are the girdle and the rod bolts. If you add some forged rods/pistons both engines would be good to go much higher.

no matter how much you want to ignore it, its still there.

i dont know if vtec parts are stronger for sure, but that is what many people say.

the gsr block is the best honda block out there. hands down.
yes, even better than the ITR. IMO, of course.

why?
-it's a b-series
-oem block girlde, not found in any other b-series
-oil sqquiters that ls/crv block don't have that help reduce heat in the combustion chamber that leads to detonation
- its rod/storke ratio is a near perfect blend of being on the torquey side, as well as being on the rev-happy side.

look around- the fastest cars out there all run gsr's.

lisa kubo, ed burgenholtz, mike laskey, etc, all running 8s and 9s. they aren't in itr's, and they aren't in b20/vtec's.

i don't include steph pap, cuz frankly, an nsx motor is NOT the same class.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jun 5 2003, 11:22 PM
no matter how much you want to ignore it, its still there.

i dont know if vtec parts are stronger for sure, but that is what many people say.

Prove to me that a 1.54 RS ratio is truely more detrimentalthan a 1.58, because I don't think you can. Prove it or stop spreading it. Until you prove it, I am going to continue treating your posts about it the same way I treat anyother keyboard jockey that read somewhere on the intarnet that the LS RS ratio is really bad and you can't rev that bottom end out. The same goes for VTEC parts being stronger. Show me a case in in which LS bottom end parts consistantly failed in identical builds. Either prove or stop spreading this :bs:.

the gsr block is the best honda block out there. hands down.
yes, even better than the ITR. IMO, of course.

why?
-it's a b-series
-oem block girlde, not found in any other b-series
-oil sqquiters that ls/crv block don't have that help reduce heat in the combustion chamber that leads to detonation
- its rod/storke ratio is a near perfect blend of being on the torquey side, as well as being on the rev-happy side.

look around- the fastest cars out there all run gsr's.

lisa kubo, ed burgenholtz, mike laskey, etc, all running 8s and 9s. they aren't in itr's, and they aren't in b20/vtec's.

i don't include steph pap, cuz frankly, an nsx motor is NOT the same class.

Lisa Kubo doesn't run any Honda engine anymore...
The rest of these arguments do no apply for several reasons:
1. They are all running boost.
2. Show me a well built NA engine without oil squirters that failed specifically because it did not have the squirters.
3. Again show me a well built NA engine without a girdle running to 8200 RPM that failed specifically because it did not have a girdle.
4. As stated before prove that me that a 1.54:1 ratio is significantly more detremental to the life of an engine than 1.58:1.

you're right that that is not much of a difference, but its still a difference; @5000rpm the piston speed of the ls block is 2917fps, while the gsr block is 2858fps, a difference of 58fps. thing is when the engine turns faster, the effects are bigger. at 8400rpm the ls block will have a piston speed of 4900fps and the gsr has a speed of 4802fps, now its a difference of 98fps. in lots of races one off can lose you the race.

I can only assume you are talking about maximum piston velcity in the verticle direction. This is not a function of RS ratio, it is a function of stroke lengths. Maximum piston velocity happens when the crank is 90 degrees from TDC or BDC. At this point any two engines with the same stroke length and different RS ratios have the same piston speeds. Are you arguing that the LS stroke is too long? Or that the RS ratio is bad? Wanna try that one again?

OK, I am drunk right now and tired of this shit. Go get a fucking GSR bottom, sleeve it to 84-85mm which ever your ass wants. Pistons, rods, etc. and going all motor your good. enough fuckin said. Fuck all this stupid ass R/S ratio oil squirter shit. If you want best of both worlds go with GSR and sleeve that fucker. Simple and enough said.

Milan

Yesterday one of my friend who's leading ClubCivicQuebec, told me that to get the best performance, I should go with the LS block. It told me that, to meet the requirements i want, this was the best 'coz GSR block is something like 1794cc and the LS block was like 1850cc or something like this. So, I could get more power with customizing LS block with VTEC head for torque and max speed than GSR. There's a lot of stuff he told me about it but I can't remember evrything. What do you think about it??? I also plan to put a turbo or 2. I asked him for the H22 block but it seems that I'll lose handling due to the weight of the block so....lets forget about this one.

Funny thing is that the nest day, which is this nest post I am wasted also. heheheh. I just don't give two fucks, sometime when your wasted the truth comes out,. actually everytime. I still same the same shit...........

Milan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back