Should i replace my timing belt?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vg_Ace

So when i bought my rex it had 192,000 miles on it and now it has around 203,000 miles. I have done all the basic maintenance but I am worried about the timing belt. It is the HF model so it only has two belts, but I do know that when i start it in cold weather and start to drive it, it starts squealing like crazy. I rev up the engine in neutral and it goes away. But i have to do this every time I start it up in cold weather after it has been sitting for a while. Is this a sign of a bad belt? I do not know when the last time the timing belt was done and I do not have the time or know how to do it myself. I would have to go and get this done at a shop. How much do timing belts usually run?

My question is this: from what I have stated is it a bad sign one of my belts is going out or needs adjustment? and worse case scenario what would happen if my timing belt broke? Would my engine be toast?

thanks for all the help.

yea if you have the money get it replaced..also get your accessory belts replaced.

but if a shop is doing this then get ready to drop some dough...

The squealing isnt the timing belt, that is the acc. belts (A/C, alternator) But with that many miles I would definitely do a new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump, along with the new acc. belts to cure the squeal. If your timing belt does break it will do severe damage to your motor.

that is what I have heard. i think it is simply the fan belt. i have the HF model so it doesn't have AC. But i think it is the fan belt because a mechanic guru told me so. But I do think i should replace the timing belt/fan belt/tensioner/water pump anyways because I have no idea when it was done last. problem is that I will have to wait months before I have enough money.

Ask around. Find some Mom & Pop shops that may be able to do it cheaper than a dealership. Or, go to your local high school and ask if they would be willing to do it as part of their class. Some schools will do the work in an attempt to teach the students how to perform the work.

well let me ask this: has anybody ever replaced the timing belt/tensioner/fan belt/water pump on a crx? How long does it take? I am not going to attempt it myself i would just like to know.

About less than half a day for someone who has done it before, pick up a manual, and you could do it in a day, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

About less than half a day for someone who has done it before, pick up a manual, and you could do it in a day, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

The hardest part is getting access to everything. Once you have access, it will all go smoothly.

A manual will be able to tell you step-by-step instructions. It really isn't hard to do. It's just time consuming. Taking your time and doing it right is not only a good learning experience, but it will save you a ton of money. I can understand the hesitation in not wanting to do it by yourself on your first try, but it really isn't that bad after all is said and done.

You could always find someone that has done it before in your area and offer to help them out. Then you can still save some money and you will have someone there to lend you a helping hand in the event that you need it.

Picking up a manual is still a good idea. Even if you don't perform all the work on your own, it will be a good reference to troubleshooting in the future.

like what kind of manual? I have a chiltons. I might drive my rex down to Oregon where my dad lives and have him help me. He has about 40+ years experience in cars. Hes currently rebuilding a 34 ford.But yeah ok What kind of manual should I get?

Chilton or Haynes will provide you with the information you need. Some tend to prefer one over the other, but as long as all the details are there (which both have), you should be well on your way.

Back