1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Replace Stock Speaker Wires?

Discussion in 'Car Audio / Security / Electronic Accessories' started by lude9593, Dec 6, 2005.

1. lude9593

lude9593 Senior Member

ok, here's the deal. i'm replacing my stock '92 accord stereo with a new pioneer headunit, and infinity speakers and i was wondering if it would be worthwhile to run new and bigger speaker wires. also, should i run a 10 gauge power wire to my headunit? i've been told it would be beneficial with a headunit as powerful as the one i'm looking at. here's the exact setup.

pioneer deh-4700mp (50w and 22wx4channel)
    infinity kappa 6.5" 2 way multi-element for the front doors
    infinity kappa 6x9" 2 way multi-element for the rears

i may run my jl audio sub back there as well, not sure yet. but i am by far, no expert at car audio so if anyone has any suggestions let me know. i'd like the best sound for not too much money. just tell me what you would do.

2. 92CHB

92CHB Senior Member

I really dont see the need to upgrade the HU power feed wire, i have done many installs ranging from cheap 5 watt rms HU's to $700 30 watt rms HU's and the power wire doesnt even get warm at all. I have also tested the power output and it isnt effected at all. As for the stock speaker wiring it will be fine, if you had a speperate amp powering the speakers i'd reccomend it.

As for the sub, while you got things taken apart i would run the wires (signal, power, rtl) for the amp. It will just make it easier when you do deceide to put a box back there.

Hope this helps :)

Oh and by the way the deh 7400mp is 27 watts rms [​IMG]

3. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

thats right thats the best advice someone can give you. its also a cool thing to see when you buy a car that is already wired for subs. i heaved an insane sigh of relief when i saw my buddies Civic...that big red wire made a big grin.

4. lude9593

lude9593 Senior Member

oh yeah, i know that much. i've run amp wires in my prelude a couple years ago and i know what's involved in that. isn't the most fun thing to do.

and the deh-7400mp is a little more than i'm willing to spend. and i don't really want the flashy organic display either. but thanks for the recommendation.

5. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

If the speaker wire is corroded or the connectors are real bad, its probably not a bad idea. 10awg wire for the power wire on a head unit is overkill. I'd say 16awg is fine if you must replace it. Otherwise just run stock.

6. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

I just re-wired my entire car (well, audio wiring anyway). Honda's factory stereo wiring is a joke. Clicky for that thread

The speaker wires won't be all that bad if you are only going to be pushing something like 50 watts through them. But I would reccomend upgrading the power and ground wires. Honda's factory stereos don't pull anywhere near as much power as an aftermarket pioneer HU that is pushing 200+ watts. Its funny the way people look at the head unit and say "ah, it doesn't need bigger wire" but if you were to run a 200 watt amp by itself they would be saying "10 gauge minimum. Don't go any less than that"

Anyway, I'd replace ALL of the wiring, as I did.. But at the very minimum, I'd upgrade the power and grounds.

7. cheese9988

Even if a aftermarket stereo would put out 200W, thats still only about ~15Amps. Amps=Watts/Volts. 200W/13.8V. Hardly the need for 10awg. The wiring harness that comes with the stereo isn't even that thick. The stock power wire is fine for a hu. Speaker wire I still might upgrade since its in the doors and there is alot of water there.

8. neonmike

neonmike Senior Member VIP

there is absolutly no need to replace factory wiring unless you are running a high end amp to the speakers. if it it running off the aftermarket radios headunit the amp inside every one is not anywhere near powerful enough to warrant an upgrade. i have even used the stock wires in some aftermarket amp applications, but to answer the threads question nope leave em the way they r and hook it up.

9. cheese9988

:withstupid:

10. lude9593

lude9593 Senior Member

wow, looks like we have some mixed opinions here. thanks for the input. i may just leave the wires as they are for now. depends on how they look.

11. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

from what i know and remember, the power and ground wires on the back of BOTH my alpine HU's were nearly twice as thick as my factory civic wiring. needless to say i replaced them.

did the same in the 240, and the mirage. the 240 is still running the 7894 while the mirage is running the 9833.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted