Should I Replace Stock Speaker Wires?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude9593

ok, here's the deal. i'm replacing my stock '92 accord stereo with a new pioneer headunit, and infinity speakers and i was wondering if it would be worthwhile to run new and bigger speaker wires. also, should i run a 10 gauge power wire to my headunit? i've been told it would be beneficial with a headunit as powerful as the one i'm looking at. here's the exact setup.

pioneer deh-4700mp (50w and 22wx4channel)
infinity kappa 6.5" 2 way multi-element for the front doors
infinity kappa 6x9" 2 way multi-element for the rears

i may run my jl audio sub back there as well, not sure yet. but i am by far, no expert at car audio so if anyone has any suggestions let me know. i'd like the best sound for not too much money. just tell me what you would do.

I really dont see the need to upgrade the HU power feed wire, i have done many installs ranging from cheap 5 watt rms HU's to $700 30 watt rms HU's and the power wire doesnt even get warm at all. I have also tested the power output and it isnt effected at all. As for the stock speaker wiring it will be fine, if you had a speperate amp powering the speakers i'd reccomend it.

As for the sub, while you got things taken apart i would run the wires (signal, power, rtl) for the amp. It will just make it easier when you do deceide to put a box back there.

Hope this helps :)

Oh and by the way the deh 7400mp is 27 watts rms :wink:

As for the sub, while you got things taken apart i would run the wires (signal, power, rtl) for the amp. It will just make it easier when you do deceide to put a box back there.

thats right thats the best advice someone can give you. its also a cool thing to see when you buy a car that is already wired for subs. i heaved an insane sigh of relief when i saw my buddies Civic...that big red wire made a big grin.

oh yeah, i know that much. i've run amp wires in my prelude a couple years ago and i know what's involved in that. isn't the most fun thing to do.

and the deh-7400mp is a little more than i'm willing to spend. and i don't really want the flashy organic display either. but thanks for the recommendation.

If the speaker wire is corroded or the connectors are real bad, its probably not a bad idea. 10awg wire for the power wire on a head unit is overkill. I'd say 16awg is fine if you must replace it. Otherwise just run stock.

I just re-wired my entire car (well, audio wiring anyway). Honda's factory stereo wiring is a joke. Clicky for that thread

The speaker wires won't be all that bad if you are only going to be pushing something like 50 watts through them. But I would reccomend upgrading the power and ground wires. Honda's factory stereos don't pull anywhere near as much power as an aftermarket pioneer HU that is pushing 200+ watts. Its funny the way people look at the head unit and say "ah, it doesn't need bigger wire" but if you were to run a 200 watt amp by itself they would be saying "10 gauge minimum. Don't go any less than that"

Anyway, I'd replace ALL of the wiring, as I did.. But at the very minimum, I'd upgrade the power and grounds.

Even if a aftermarket stereo would put out 200W, thats still only about ~15Amps. Amps=Watts/Volts. 200W/13.8V. Hardly the need for 10awg. The wiring harness that comes with the stereo isn't even that thick. The stock power wire is fine for a hu. Speaker wire I still might upgrade since its in the doors and there is alot of water there.

there is absolutly no need to replace factory wiring unless you are running a high end amp to the speakers. if it it running off the aftermarket radios headunit the amp inside every one is not anywhere near powerful enough to warrant an upgrade. i have even used the stock wires in some aftermarket amp applications, but to answer the threads question nope leave em the way they r and hook it up.

Quoted post[/post]]
there is absolutly no need to replace factory wiring unless you are running a high end amp to the speakers. if it it running off the aftermarket radios headunit the amp inside every one is not anywhere near powerful enough to warrant an upgrade. i have even used the stock wires in some aftermarket amp applications, but to answer the threads question nope leave em the way they r and hook it up.
:withstupid:

wow, looks like we have some mixed opinions here. thanks for the input. i may just leave the wires as they are for now. depends on how they look.

from what i know and remember, the power and ground wires on the back of BOTH my alpine HU's were nearly twice as thick as my factory civic wiring. needless to say i replaced them.

did the same in the 240, and the mirage. the 240 is still running the 7894 while the mirage is running the 9833.

Back