Should I Upgrade My Ignition?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16ahatch

Hey whats up everyone ive been on the board for a couple of months now,but just now figured out how to postaway i have a 5g hatch with a b16 swap and i was wondering if i should upgrade my ignition for my motor. i really dont know much about the whole ignition thing so il leave it to you guys to decied if i need it or not. I have a b16 wit eagle rods arias 9.0.1 compression pistons complete crower valve train (stock cams) port and polished head ls tranny with a phanton grip lsd, act 6 puck clutch t3/t4 turbonetics turbo with a greddy front mount, jackson racing fuel pump greedy type s blow off valve, deltagate wastegate with a 20 pound spring. and eclipse gst 440cc injectors. thank you for all your help in advance.

Jason

absolutely!

you've already taken care of pushin more air and fuel into you combustion chamber, now you need a way to burn it more efficiently. Ignition kits will make minimal gains on a stock engine, but when you go with F/I, you definately need an ignition upgrade.

I personally like the MSD SCI, which is specifically design for sport compact cars. I've seen a fairly complete ignition upgrade kit (consisting of MSD SCI ignition module, modified distributor cap, wires, and blaster coil) go for around $200 on ebay and they were brand new systems...

Sorry to contradict the others, they posted while i was typin my reply.....

I still stick with my opinion tho

he doesn't need new ignition. he is not pushing 400HP or 10k RPMs, which are arbitrary points where aftermarket is needed. However, it usually doesn't hurt to upgrade your ignition, by all means, if you have the money... go for it.

in turbo apps you will always see gains by upgrading the ignition, which makes a hotter spark.

I have seen a good improvement in my car overall with an MSD 6AL and a blaster 3 coil. I like the fact that my car gets somewhat better gas mileage and pulls better from the low rpm range.

Peace, Theron <_<

hey accolude, how about giving us the cliff notes on your signature, that is way long and obnoxious.

and YES ignition is an alright upgrade. but NO he doesn't need it

good upgade...try to upgrade your ground wires also... will add a few horses depending on motor

msd 6btm is the best for turbo. it is a 6al with some extras like the ability to retard the spark automatically as rpm rises.

Back