should i??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Arachnid

ok guys, imma do a skunk2 stage2 upgrade for my valve train. i've been talking to some people and they say that i don't really need to change the valves... (camshaft,valve springs, and retainers are being switched to skunk2) does anyone recommend that i change the valves also? and please give a good reason why.

change the valves if you get stage 2 cams, I think the reason is the more aggressive cam profile will wear down your stock valvetrain faster than it would if you upgraded to the skunk2 valvetrain.

Better to do it once then have to go back into the head to replace them at a later date.

you don't need to change the actual valves, but definitly do the valve train-springs and retainers

I'm confused r8k...please specify? from my own knowledge i figure....the only reason why i would need to change the actual valves is if the old ones won't be able to hold the keeper, retainer, and valve springs in its place. i.e. if the valve springs are too hard they might put alot of stress on the part where the keeper actually hold the valve spring, retainer, and valves in synchronization. i'm scared the valves might just break right where the keeper holds the valve and valve spring together....does anyone know if that particular part that i'm talking about is able to hold the stage2 valvesprings intack.

Originally posted by revolution8k@May 14 2004, 06:55 AM
change the valves if you get stage 2 cams, I think the reason is the more aggressive cam profile will wear down your stock valvetrain faster than it would if you upgraded to the skunk2 valvetrain.

Better to do it once then have to go back into the head to replace them at a later date.

uhh, no dude you don't need to replace valves...

well, whatever guys. I just figure preventive maintenance will be worth the extra what? 180 the valves are....instead of having to go in later and rebuild the head/replace some pistons and all the valves after the timing belt breaks and costs him $1000+

Just my .02, but whatever...

Originally posted by revolution8k@May 14 2004, 09:10 PM
well, whatever guys. I just figure preventive maintenance will be worth the extra what? 180 the valves are....instead of having to go in later and rebuild the head/replace some pistons and all the valves after the timing belt breaks and costs him $1000+

Just my .02, but whatever...

how is the timing belt going to break? and even if you did replace the valves, snapping a timing belt would have the same effects. i don't understand what you're trying to say.

i should also add i have not heard anything good about the skunk2 valves, just horror stories. you will be fine with stock valves and those springs, even though the seat pressure is pretty high with the skunk2 springs. but if you are really concnered i would check out ferrea valves http://www.ferrea.com/

Timing belts break. It has happened to me. 2000 dollars later I couldn't rev my motor over 4k for a month. sucked ass.

I'm just saying for future preventative maintenance why aren't new valves that are designed to take the agressive profile of the new cams necessary in your eyes? Are Honda valves really that well built to hold up under increased loads? Just asking cause I don't know.

Sorry for posting my .02.

Originally posted by revolution8k@May 14 2004, 09:38 PM
Timing belts break. It has happened to me. 2000 dollars later I couldn't rev my motor over 4k for a month. sucked ass.

I'm just saying for future preventative maintenance why aren't new valves that are designed to take the agressive profile of the new cams necessary in your eyes? Are Honda valves really that well built to hold up under increased loads? Just asking cause I don't know.

i still don't see how your saying the timing belt is affected by valves...??..? if the valve couldn't take the load, it would break the valve, this would not break a belt, but it would sure cause a lot of damage in the combustion chamber. the valve seats, cam lobes, rocker arms and even ti retainers wear quicker than the valves. or even if the timing belt did snap, the after market valves would be just as ruined as the stock valves.

Originally posted by revolution8k@May 15 2004, 12:38 AM

you are thinking about valvesprings not valves themselves. valves are pretty much unaffected(except for when they open or close) by the camshaft. only reason to replace valves is if you want oversized ones or you burnt/bent your old valves.

if a motor is an interference engine and a belt breaks, some of the valves are going to meet a piston. I wouldn't want to use some old ass valves with a more agressive cam if they haven't been cleaned up or treated. :shrug2:

Fuck it. nevermind, don't spend the money on the valves. Everyone else thinks it's a waste of money.

aggressive cams still wont change the load on the belt, the valvespring pushing the rocker onto the cam does.

Originally posted by revolution8k@May 15 2004, 06:08 AM
if a motor is an interference engine and a belt breaks, some of the valves are going to meet a piston. I wouldn't want to use some old ass valves with a more agressive cam if they haven't been cleaned up or treated. :shrug2:

dude, what you are saying still does not make sense.... ok, so if timing belt breaks, pistons are going to meet the valves. what is the difference if they are som "old ass valves" or new aftermarket ones? they will still get fucked up...

no matter if you have aftermarket or stock valves, if the timing belt breaks, your going to bend valves. Farea SS valves are not invinsible. If the belt brakes, there going to get hit by a piston and they are going to bend. It is as simple as that.

alright, decided not to get new valves...too lazy to take the head off anyways!!! i'll just use an adaptor and compressor to swap the valve springs and retainers. thanks a bunch peeps!!!

Originally posted by revolution8k@May 15 2004, 09:08 AM

Fuck it. nevermind, don't spend the money on the valves. Everyone else thinks it's a waste of money.

Stock valves + pistons = bent
Stainless valves + pistonf = broken valves and more parts flying around inside the motor. I would MUCh rather smack a stock valve than a stainless one.

Back