1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showa VS Denso

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by UDT, Dec 22, 2004.

1. UDT

UDT Senior Member

Whats the difference between the two? I dont get it , theres something im missing. I mean like koyo makes a denso and showa radiator. Witch ones better and why. Im sure theres gota be trade off or something.

2. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

So you are checking out Koyo radiators? I've only noticed two types, their OEM spec line and their much more expensive all aluminum racing ones. My Si has an OEM spec one and the sedan has a racing one. I don't recall the names denso and showa though.

3. UDT

UDT Senior Member

I know some one knows what im talking about. Cause if you look you will see but i just dont know the difference between the two.

4. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

I think auto cars came with a different radiator maybe made by one manufacturer or another, since it has the tranny oil cooler built into it. Sorry I don't know which is which though :(

5. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Can you post some links to what you are talking about? Is this for a manual or an auto tranny car?

6. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

i have ehard of both but thats all that i can add

7. UDT

UDT Senior Member

8. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Both started in Japan, Denso moved to America, Showa makes a lot of parts for companies including Honda, Harley, Toyota, Buell, Ducati, etc...Denso makes a lot of parts for everyone. The links you provided don't explain what you are talking about as far as differences in specific products.

9. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

I'm still confused. Your original question seemed to indicate that you were trying to find out the difference between Koyo Showa and Koyo Denso radiators made for your car. I still don't get the connection between Koyo and the other two companies from your links. How much difference in price between the two radiators in question?

Otherwise, Koyo specializes in making radiators. All that I have ever seen are basically what is found on eBay. There are the black colored ones that are OEM spec and they are much much cheaper than the silver colored all aluminum racing ones. The Koyo site just features the racing ones. 1-800-radiator sells the OEM spec ones.

And for prices:

Koyo racing radiator>>>>>>>>>>Honda OEM radiator>>>>Koyo OEM spec one

10. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

Ya man one stock radiator is made by Denso and another by Showa, one if for auto cars and has a tranny oil cooler in it, one is for manual cars and does not have the tranny oil cooler in it. I do not know which is which, look at your stock radiator and see which one you have and buy the appropriate one.

11. UDT

UDT Senior Member

Yeahn to be honest i linked the rwo company names cause i couldint even go back and find what i was talking about :D . I was thinking maybe one was made from a different metal or something i wasint sure. The prices were the same but you have a choice between denso or showa.

12. UDT

UDT Senior Member

Yeahn to be honest i linked the rwo company names  cause i couldint even go back and find what i was talking about :D . I was thinking maybe one was made from a different metal or something i wasint sure. The prices were the same but you have a choice between denso or showa, though with the same brand radiator, so i asumed it was something in the MFG of the cores them self and maybe koyo built with both the different mgf's cores leaving you with the choice. At least thats what i was THINKING.

13. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Well Showa and Denso both make OEM parts, so I would think that if one of them has a performance model made by Koyo that it has a thicker core, but I don't know if Koyos OEM replacements are any different than the OEM models, or even if they make OEM replacements.

14. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Koyo OEM spec radiators are just that, built to original OEM specs. They drop in perfectly too. In terms of them actually making them for Honda with Honda just putting their sticker on the top, I can go to the dealership and inspect a few, but I would think that Koyo would be one of Honda's main suppliers, just like they have different suppliers for their airbags and ECU boards and such. Almost any company will consider making custom spec orders off of their general product line if the orders are large enough to justify it financially.

15. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Just to clarify my last post... Denso and Showa made the original radiators for that Honda, but over the years, Honda sometimes changes their suppliers. So a current inventory replacement radiator from Honda could be made by another company for them.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted