Shredded Rubber: Killer Roads

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mount the camera higher and aim it down too... too much dashboard, which is why the outside is out of focus and blurry

Honestly, the camera can't get much higher b/c the 'Rex has such a low roof. For the first run, though, it was pointed up a little more, showing less dash & giving better results.

You can sorta see how there's that wall of dirt on the right side. That's what I hit. Actually turned out to be relatively soft, but I'm not going to re-create the incident just to get it on film. :ph34r:

As far as Discount Tire Direct goes, the cheapest option I have is:
falhh3.s.jpg
Falken Ziex ZE-512

205/40R-16 83H B
Total "Out the Door" Price $244.00
Actually, I think that's what I put on the car a few years ago....

Here's the real problem, currently my bank accounts look like this:
Description Balance
EveryDay Checking $1,601.72
Share Savings $67.37
nRewards Visa $96.15

Okay, so there's a grand in checking...but tomorrow I write a 2k check for health insurance. Leaving me -$400 or so for tires....minus $96.15 to pay off visa bill.
So, yeah, I'm pretty screwed right now...make me feel better by posting some vids of your own, guys!

I couldn't resist. I made another vid today even though I still don't have new rubber. I took a much easier road & played it safe, successfully staying out of the ditch this time.

I repositioned the camera as high as I could get it & I think the results are much better. The only thing I would like to change would be to include the steering wheel & guage cluster in the shot. Oh, & I really wish I had secured that pesky handstrap!

YouTube - Alisal Rd Southbound

I have no idea why the vid ends where it does. Good enough place, though, I guess. Shortly after that point there's a stop sign & all the fuel sloshes to the front of the tank starving the pump & stalling the motor. I ended up jacking up the front of the car to get the gas to the back & then I drove to the nearest gas station.

I don't know why this happens. If you you're interested in the specifics check out my Ninja Fuel! thread on here.

Last edited:
Thank you...yah, I know...I wonder if masking tape over the mic would work?

Okay, if I could change one thing it would be a more exciting vid. I'm still working w/ mostly stock DD, novice driving skills & zero film experience.

Anyone else gonna' give it a shot?

I would but I don't have a video camera.. I'll try to talk my friend into making some videos with his GSR powered CRX that I built for him :D

i'm still thinking about how to rig a cam to my car w/out leaving any damage. i'd really like to mount it to my front lic. plate bracket somehow, because that viewpoint would rock. also i think masking tape wouldn't block the road noise enough, but i suggest putting scotch tape over the mic to protect your cam from the lil foam cushy adhesive deal that i'd put on top of that. that's my plan, anyway.

i'm headed home to nm for tday and i'll take some vid for you guys there...some killer roads between cloudcroft and pinon.

damnit.. gonna make me rig mine up on the rear view arent you.. or possible on the seat like you..

*edit*
went and looked.. no way it'll go on the rear view.. i'm sure i could make bracket of some sort to mount to the headrest or something.. gives me something to do next week..

Last edited:
GSR powered CRX.:D
That would be super cool....

and put a helmet on too.
Bah. Helmets are for motorcycles...or decently fast cars, I really think I'll be okay. But thanks for caring. ^_^

dacheat;881090 i'd really like to mount it to my front lic. plate bracket somehow said:
That'd be fun as long as nothing jumped up & hit the camera...:eek: The main reason I'm keeping mine inside the car is due to the short record time & lack of remote control. I've thought about mounting it to the side rearview where I can still reach it & for unique view.

As far as the road noise goes, I don't mind that, it's the wind hitting the mic pickup directly that drowns out everything else. It's also just a little 3.2mp digicam, so it's not really set up for recording pro audio.

That said, I really like how the car sounds when it can be heard in the vid.

damnit.. gonna make me rig mine up on the rear view arent you.. or possible on the seat like you..

If only I had the power to make people do what I wanted them to, this world would be a much better place...well, for me anyhow....^_^

And, yes....I would love to see a section of that road you posted .

here are some more shots of the actual road.. these are a couple of guys from town that went.. i'm just stealing their pics.. haha .. i of course, will have better pics
CIMG0920.jpg

CIMG0919.jpg

CIMG0931.jpg

random shot here.. kinda shows the surrounding area
CIMG0935.jpg

random shot here.. kinda shows the surrounding area

I was going to ask where the heck ~IS~ that, but google maps came thru for me and I located you in somewhere in Bakersfield. So, that rd is about 3hrs away from me....hmmm. I've been meaning to check out Bakersfield upon the recommendation of a lot of the 'car guys' in town. Pretty much everyone has told me that it's the closest 1/4mi strip. :(
But that rd looks like it may be worth the trip...eventually, once I get everything straightened out....

OMG what a horrible day. It's bad enough that the wifey & her parents laugh at my car problems & generally bad mouth my baby on a daily basis. I'm never going to hear the end of this one.
:(

refugiostatebeachta2.jpg

Headed down the 101 towards Santa Barbara, which is a nice drive even if it isn't a tire shredder, my catalytic converter shat itself all over the freeway. This caused some immediate problems w/ the smooth operation of the engine, but the 5 million degree molten ceramic chunks shooting from my exhaust just happened to start fires along the California coast. A pretty big deal if you check the news, BTW.

Thank Soichiro the fire dept. got to them right away & the CHP decided to let me go w/ my promise not to drive until I fixed the problem.

So I hung my head & called the tow truck. Knocked out what was left of the honeycomb, bolted the cat back up& just got back from a test drive. Seems like there's a pretty good chunk lodged further downstream, so tomorrow it looks like I will be doing more shady repairs.

Oh yeah...so I never made it to that job interview in Santa Barbara...:(

oh god that's the worst ever and i feel really bad that i laughed out loud a little bit when i read your post - i think because the mental picture is pretty much right on with assplosion, and i have been dealing with some of the pissed off fire-displaced people in tech support this week, so i was like 'yesssssssssssssssss!! more fire, that mean lady that was rude to me yesterday deserves it!' but then i was like 'nooooooo crap how bad this must suck!'

and now i'm like 'wtf i'm rambling, i reeeeeeeeeally don't want to call that mean lady back to see if she is still having probs.'

did you get a reschedule on the interview?

meanwhile i'd take this as an opportunity for a catback update ;). and you're really actually pretty lucky that your car chose to shit the comb instead of being constipated and keeping it right under your seat so that your car asploded...

ok ok ok... i'm done. but i'm not calling that bitch back :D

Back