Side Skirts/front Lip

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid00meth

Hey all, I seem to have lost the other thread on this, or the search is fuxored right now. Anyways.

I'm painting my side skirts and lip skirt white. Anyone else done this? I'm just wondering what steps produce the best results, what paint you used, and how you applied it. I'm all set up with paint gun, compressor, all that jazz.

What I'm assuming is:

1. sand with 400-800
2. clean with alchohol
3. Primer? Trim prep?
4. Spray with (kind of paint)?

I'm kinda in a hurry, want to get it done this week. All input is appreciated!

your goign to have to use a lot of flex primer

the prelude is getting its OEM skirts redone as we speak because of the lack of flex agent the body shop used last time.

ahh yes, I forgot to mention that. I knew about the flex additive too.

I would just put OEM stuff on, but I can't find em painted white anywhere. <_<

Well i don't think sideskirts and front lips are metal like the fenders i painted but i'll tell you how i did those.
1. Came shipped to my house with a black primer
2. Sanded them with really light grit to remove minor imperfections
3. Sprayed gray primer on in kind of a thick 1st coat (let dry)
4. Sanded with like 1500 grit (not sure but close to that) to remove bumps and such
5. repaint sanded bumps and any metal areas
6.repeat step 4 until happy ( i did this like 4 times)

P.S. BTW the fenders i painted have been sitting on my camaro in my driveway for the past year in all the rain and snow we had, and there is no rust anywhere B)

use Dupont, PPG or House of Color paints. you should pick up the new issue of HCI (hot compact and import). almost the entire issue addresses painting your car. ive read it and its very informative.

Back