Sidewall damage?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
So I may or may not have rubbed a curb a bit hard last night and bent the bejesus out of my tin foil Insight rim and gouged my tire a bit. Problem is, these are like new tires. I need 2 for the back because they're both badly dry rotted, but I don't really want to replace the fronts as well. Am I gonna blow out?

If there is a hole in the sidewall, then you need to replace whatever tire that is immediately. Sidewall damage is no joke.

There's really no hole, no broken belt as far as I can tell, no road noise, it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, I'm just wondering if it's waiting for me to go to sleep and murder me.

here is what i do when kristen gauges her rims-
first i make sure there is no offending metal sticking into any of the sidewall area.

inflate it to max psi, spray some high concentrated dish soap onto the area, checking for anything rough. if all looks well and no noise, and no huge rip or tear, i leave it be.

Blow outs are fun. They test your emergency driving and car people riding in your car.

Just kidding, I've had 2 and needed new shorts both times.

if you think a blow out is fun try having a tire fall completely off
no bueno
i've driven on some shifty ass tires back in the day
bubbles poking out the side and everything
but what is your life worth to you?
a new tire? whats that 100 bucks?
worst case shit happens to people everyday, don't let that person be you
hedge your bets

had a front right rim fall off at about 60mph back in the day
that was actually rather uneventful :( just kinda slid it to the side of the road... then got out and went chasing after my damn rim that rolled about a 1/4 mile up the road and was standing up int he middle of the intersection :lmao:
it was kinda cool looking out the window to see my rim floating there next to me for a second though :)

i had a front right rim and hub come off my lifted mazda with 33's
the truck veered into the other lane before i was able to bring it back into my lane and off onto the shoulder
i was lucky someone wasn't coming the other direction

Throw it on a tire balance machine and see how it behaves? Remove it from the wheel and see if there's any irregularities with the inside of the carcass?

pic of damage... can't relaly make a decision without it.

a surface rub, can get by. if its deep and belted, or bubbled, replace

1350580887-ducttape.jpg

fixed.

Back