1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silencer or Resonator?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by migglesworth203, Jan 7, 2011.

1. migglesworth203

migglesworth203 New Member

I m looking for a performance exhaust for my 92 Honda accord but there are two things that concern me…
    1. Noise
    2. Attention

My question is what’s better to use a Silencer or Resonator?? Also I notice that the muffler tip has the diameter of a freakin softball... can I cut that tip off and replace it with a smaller tip, and will it affect performance?

2. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

my advice is to get a different muffler. can style mufflers typically sound like crap. vibrant makes a decent muffler, dynomax super turbo is also a decent muffler, and neither sound raspy/annoying.

as for a resonator, a glasspack would be ideal. and for the love of jesus, please leave a catalytic converter in your exhaust

3. migglesworth203

What happens if i remove the catalytic converter?

4. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

your exhaust will flow more freely, however the sound of your car will suffer greatly.
    the catalytic converter acts somewhat like a muffler/resonator, and for whatever reason, ive never heard an aftermarket muffler/resonator that does as good of a job as the factory cat does.

5. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:concur: your car will sound like a raspy pile of shit... and it will smell like a rotten pile of boiled assholes

6. luciusad2004

luciusad2004 Member

Agree'd

I had a 2.5" cat put on my car and its MUCH louder, I can only imagine how loud a test pipe would be. I have headers, a 2.5"cat and 2.5" cat back exhaust with the can style muffler and its VERY loud. I'm not sure that I like it. All the Nice sounding Honda's I've seen have the sideways mounted mufflers and modestly sized piping. I only went 2.5" because I want to boost someday and The cat back was already on my car. I kind of regret it.

SO if I was in the market for a new exhaust (read: if I had more money) I would keep the Cat and look for a quality cat back with a resonator and a sideways mounted muffler (not a can style). I think most people go 2 1/4"

7. Fernpatch

Fernpatch Member

my old crx had 2 1/4 pipe with a round magnaflow muffler as a resonator and a oval magnaflow muffler in the stock location. to the un educated people it looked stock and sounded fairly mellow until you revved up beyond about 3600rpm. I had alot of muscle car guys tell me that I had the nicest sounding honda in my area.

8. migglesworth203

So let’s say you have a 92 Honda accord stock... what would your exhaust set up be? (keep in mind the noise factor)

9. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

If it's stock, leave the stock exhaust. There's no point to get an exhaust on a stock motor, period...

10. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

11. migglesworth203

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted