Silencer Question..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1995EGGuy

By putting a silencer on your performance exhaust, does it slow the car down?

It negates almost all benifits of having a performance exhaust. That's why you shouldn't put race only exhausts on street cars.

Exactly.

People who get the Uber J-Spec JDM Touge Drift VTEC Type aRgh exhausts dont realize that they are not designed for street vehicles. They spend $900 on an exhaust and then greatly lower its functionality with a silencer. You are better off getting an Apex WS or some other street tuned exhaust system that will perform better than a race exhaust w/the silencer installed.

Most Race exhausts are tuned to maxemize top end power (not a broad powerband) - they usually also dont meet decible limit's (i.e. 90db in Cali). The silencer should only be used if you needed to drive your car to the track or something w/out getting a ticket for noise violations.

The silencer is a temporary band-aid, not a solution.

I wish cops would think about other things to do instead of pull ppl over for a loud exhaust that doesnt harm nobody... the damn harleys do though!

Well, in all honesty, if idiot ricers didn't draw so damned much attention to everyone who drives a Honda we wouldn't have to worry about it. And do you like it when something passes you so loudly that it feels like your ears are going to bleed? Neither does anyone else.
Depends on what kind of sound. If it's from a street or race car with a performance exhaust I don't mind. If it's a Harley or truck or something then no I hate it.

in retrospect, the harley guys hate loud ass hondas. you can't please everybody. but you have to remember, the same douche bags cops that give you the ticket are the same douche bags that drive the harley after work.

Maybe in your area, but I've never seen a person who looks like a cop riding a loud-ass Harley.

most of the ones in my area are middle aged men. a lot of pre-retirees. if they don't have a harley, they have some other obnoxious piece of shit.

Back