Silverado Twin Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGProject

YEEEEAAHHHHH
Recently one of my close friends in town bought a mint 99' Silverado 4x4 V8 X-cab. The thing runs great, and only has about 58k miles on it.New tires, new plugs, fresh oil change and brakes done all around. He was looking at a supercharger setup, but he wants to go a different route.

He just purchased the Banks twin turbo kit for the 5.7L Vortec. I advised him that turbocharging is a great power adder, but things add up fast -. The Banks kit, unlike Paxton, Vortec or Magnacharger - gives you the core components and most of the plumbing, but none of the peripherals. The engine as it sits now is MAF. I'm not sure if its TBI or MPFI - although if its an older Vortec motor, its TBI. Obviously the MAF has to go, as well as the TBI. It uses two wastegates along with a strange shuttle valve bypass in the plenum to control boost. 6-8 psi should be safe for a stock motor, according to Banks.

I suggested the Accel DFI system, since Banks supports it and suggests the kit. Supposedly the kit is really nice and comprehensive but the manifold is noted to not work with Vortec heads. I sent an email to Accel and expect to hear back from them.

Alternatively we could use Megasquirt, HALTEC or FAST. However, we'd have to plumb and tap the stock IM for injectors and interface a new TB with the management. I don't have the know-how to do this.

Secondly, is exhaust - DP's need to be fabbed up and separate exhaust routes need to be made, and two cats would need to be used if he wanted them.

There's no provision for intercooling in the kit, but there is space for it - Between the intake plenum and the turbos.

I'm trying to oversee some of the stuff for this build, but I think he may have gotten in over his head. He has the cash, but it may run out - dyno time, welders, etc.

Suggestions? :)

One thing is if the Silverado is a 1500 then it has the 4.8 or the 5.3 engine. I am pretty sure they got rid of the tbi in the mid 90s on the v8 silverados.

I would seriously recommend checking out a board I think its called late model preformance trucks. Read up on some forums.

i recommend megasquirt :)

the 4.3L vortec in the 01 s-10 xtreme's was still TBI. maybe thats a clue?

Yeah, it is TBI - I checked.

Anyways, he cancelled his order with Banks, due to a 6 week waiting period to send out the kit. He's either going ATI or Whipple now. We're going to Blue Magic in Franklin today to buy a whole shitload of parts. Headers, twin slim line fans, fan controller, silicone couplers, MSD cap, wires and controller with boost retard.

Whipple for the win. Got a buddy with one of their SCs on his 80 something TBird. Gross products....i dont like driving next to him......so he hits the gas. If only it was street legal :p

Back