SIngin' in the rain

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I just back from my first ride in the rain !

Don't do it!

It was a real challenge. The ass came out on me twice, and going down a long hill I had to be real careful to balance the brake bias. Also, I wear eyeglasses and whereas the rain isn't too bad of a problem, the fog was . IT really really really was.

But hey ! No dump yet !

Last edited:
Haha, well congrats on not dumping it you crazy sob. I've been on dirt bikes/ATVs COUNTLESS times in the rain, but never a street bike while it was raining. At least you don't have to worry about hills or mountains here. If you're heading downhill in FL, you're probably half way in the ditch already.

What kind of tires do you have? I've been 80+ on highways in the rain (even very hard rain/hail) with ZERO issues. no doubt I don't brake hard or lean the bike in turns, but with the bike going in a straight line even giving it a good bit of throttle I've never had issues.

Then again my rear tire might be twice as wide as yours :ph34r:

Just remember, the faster you go the more dry you stay =)

Well, it was my first time. I'm sure I'll do better next time. The bike control is great (Thinner tires are more your friend) and hydroplaning isn't really possible. But the corners were scary, and the biggest problem was the rain / fogging on my eye glasses and visor.

wiper-m.gif

I went to dinner a week or two ago and drove home in the rain. I was fine. Only 15 miles or so of riding home, but yeah you definitely have to baby it in the rain, and be careful when coming down the hills (I live in NW washington).

The shape and dynamics of bike tires makes them AWESOME for handling standing water (No hydroplaning here) but the lateral grip makes for the ass end ... at best... making it's presence known and scaring the shit out of you. But after my rides on the sandy and windy roads in the pre-season, I'm getting less and less scared on back wheel boogies than I ever thought I would (And with credit to Wil: A few days ago I tried to touch the ground with my hand during a left hand sweeper, came close, totally comfortable)

But the rain and lens fog man.. killer.

Back in the rain this morning. Not too bad today - I had it open a crack and it wasn't raining hard.

But during that hard rain, it was open 4 notches - that means I could see under the visor. The visor was STILL fogged.

there are some really good fog sprays out there. i make sure i put a coat on all my visors. it helps a lot and only cost about $7. fogging also depends on the quality of visor to.

oh yeah, and invest in some frame sliders. best $50 you'll spend on the bike.

As I understand, there is no place to put a frame slider on a 250 Ninja. Someone out there took a lot of time to fab one up, but wouldn't suggest it any further. If I get a real bike next time (I looked at a 98 Triumph 600 Daytona this weekend, and I am still saving up for a BMW K1200S) I'm looking into a full contact cage. But I don't wanna think of or plan on hitting the ground. The Triumph has the sliders.

Just remember frame sliders do nothing but protect the motor and frame, they're not meant to save the plastics.

However in some cases they will.

I can't believe the Ninja doesn't have anywhere to put them. I've never seen a bike a drill can't fix. I drilled my faring for my sliders.

I think they look nice, and I'll consider them. For now I'm concentrating and trying to keep the Ninja in mint shape, unmodified (Still have the fender) and ready for sale when I'm ready to upgrade.

Reminds me.. I need to post pics.

My sliders kept my fairings on my gsxr 600 in perfect shape. Just the left side of the engine cover was scuffed slightly when then previous owner dropped it. A small purchase later, its fixed.

Back