single cam

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
hey guys, i'm building a d16z6 head swapped d15b8 and i eventually want to boost it. i'm just wondering what you suggestions are for me to build in my motor for now, that i can do while i don't have much money. i want to do some things to my car, but i still wanna save for the turbo kit. what are some things that i can do now, that will benefit my single cam turbo setup?

i plan on getting a ex/si tranny soon as well as a header because these are what seem to be bogging me down the most. so let me know guys, thanks.

If you don't have the engine in the car, then anything you can do to strengthen the internals would help you down the road for turbo charging. Until you can get the parts together for the turbo, you might wanna start working on some upgrades for your fuel system. Maybe an adjustable cam gear would be nice to help you tune down the road as well.

If you are looking to get the turbo soon, I wouldn't look into getting a header since you won't be able to use it with the turbo. Also, if you haven't done so already, I'd suggest a free flowing exhaust to decrease the amount of back pressure in the system when you get the turbo.

GL with the build.

welp, i already have a skunk2 adjustable cam gear. but i don't think it will be THAT soon for me to get my turbo kit, unless jesus himself helps me out with a miracle. i have a lot to do, and college is coming, so i'm gonna need some money for that. so i think a header will work for now. what kinda internals should i look into? the engine is in the car, it's my daily driver (and only car).

well, im still doing research myself, but there are quite a few people here who0 are switching to turbo setups, and for quite cheaply too. its a good bunch of people, and they will help you any way that they can. do some looking around. there is tons of juicy info that they have posted recently.

since you already have the engine in the car, its gonna be a bit of a bitch to do any internal work. At this point i would suggest either A) buying parts individually as you come across good deals and saving them till you have everything you need -or- B) save up as much money as you can and see if you can get a package deal by buying the turbo system and internals all in 1 shot.

The fuel upgrades would still be a good idea now if you can afford it. It will give you a little bump in power (nothing super drastic), plus you won't have to worry about getting it down the road. Just make sure you have something you can tune your a/f ratio.

cool thanks, what fuel upgrades do you suggest?

i'm guessing the internals would be rods, pistons, rings, etc. but would you suggest replacement oem, or aftermarket parts? i know d series stuff is relatively cheap compared to b series, that's part of the reason i chose to build the single cam.

i'll take any bit of info you guys have available. i tried to look around and read, but i don't seem to have too much luck finding stuff out about d series stuff.

*edit* i had my jdm vtec controller stolen when my car got broken into, so now i'm in the market for a apexi VAFC. other thought is hondata or uberdata. what can you guys tell me about those?

Hondata is awesome. Look into it a little further and you will see. I know the best unit for obdwhatever has neat things like full throttle shift and launch. It also has the capabilities to tune just about anything in your car that you would want to tune, VTEC, boost, a/f ratio.

As far as building your single cam, I think that it is a good idea. But as far as doing the internals in your motor really depends on what you really want out of the car. If you want to push 5-7lbs of boost, your stock internals can handle that. If your looking to run more boost, then look into doing your internals.

As far as fuel, look into a walbro in-tank fuelpump and some larger injectors. Like some 250cc's or something. But if you do fuel upgrades before you have tuneability for them, you will run super rich.

And also, Alex, why don't you ever ask me about these things when we talk. I only live like, 8 blocks away. I am usually off of work by 7pm so call me and talk to me.

Oh, and did you get your rear lip on yet?

sorry BRO didn't know you knew anything about hondata. i just wanna know what the hell it is and how much it will cost me. i'll call you tonight. the rear lip will be on soon enough.

Hondata

It is basically a replacement ECU with extraordinary capabilities. I will be running Hondata when I get my ITR block sleeved, built and boosted. :D

Back