Single layer oem head gasket questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jkeg6

I am currently running a stock JDM B16A3 & am going to be swapping the IM, TB, & head to a JDM ITR set up with Portflow titanium retainers, Portflow stiffened inner valve springs, ITR intake outer valve springs all the way around, & CTR cams. Probably a bit over built for how I intend on driving. Trying to keep the rpm's around 8700 to 9000 tops! I'm also looking to increase my compression to around 11.1:1 by using a single layer of an OEM head gasket. I'm keeping the block stock with the OEM bore and need to know which OEM gasket to use & which layer is best if any. I figured copper spraying would give me a little more insurance against any leakage. How safe is this? I've been seeing a few people running single layer gaskets & want to know your guy's opinion. I'm not trying to get any outrageous hp/tq #'s,nor do I want to have to tear everything apart/rebuild every 10K, just want a smooth running, reliable, FUN daily driver that's capable of busting a little ass every now and then. I plan on getting a chipped/basemapped ECU to start things in the right direction & have tuned later on. I also need to know what fuel pressure, fuel pump, & injector size would be best for this set up or if the OEM stuff will be sufficient. Zealautowerks.com has an option for a single layer .009" thickness according to them it's still in the acceptable range. If there is anything else that should accompany these intended mods, please let me know what you think. I've seen a lot of posts from some of you with a great deal of knowledge & would appreciate any info you may have to help make my build successful and most of all reliable.

you aren't going to pick up .6 compression by a single layer gasket alone.

ctr cams are dead at 8200. if you want to go to 9k AND make power up there, you need something WAY bigger.

further, if you go way bigger on the cams, you'll need way more than 11:1 probably 12.5+..

high rpm + reliable is a moot point. for every 100 rpm you go, you exponentially raise the bar on the break point.

Thanks or the response. I'm not really trying to go up to 9k, just making sure that the valve train holds up, kinda overbuilding so I don't run into valve float/piston slap. & realistically probably going to keep the rpm's in the low to mid 8's. According to zealautowerks.com (& I know this is a general estimate) it showed 11:1 with a .009" gasket & the block/piston etc. setup I'm using. As far as reliability, I was mostly talking about head gasket leakage & which head gasket & which layer to use. I don't really want to go to a much bigger cam, just want a bit more aggressive one with oem honda reliability. Again don't want to get into a huge build, just want to know the right path to take with what I have in mind. & Thanks again for your input!

you aren't going to pick up .6 compression by a single layer gasket alone.

ctr cams are dead at 8200. if you want to go to 9k AND make power up there, you need something WAY bigger.

further, if you go way bigger on the cams, you'll need way more than 11:1 probably 12.5+..

high rpm + reliable is a moot point. for every 100 rpm you go, you exponentially raise the bar on the break point.

If I were to try to use just one layer of the oem gasket, which layer would you reccomend?

Back