Single Vs. Twin Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

What extra parts do you need to make a single turbo go custom twin turbo?

:withstupid:

twin turbo is NOT better than single. look at all the supra guys who UPGRADE to a single turbo.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 26 2003, 12:30 AM

twin turbo is NOT better than single. look at all the supra guys who UPGRADE to a single turbo.

it depends on your app. from dyno charts; single=better top end boost, tt=better low rpm response.

but for a honda TT is not worth it. there are some dragcars that run TT on H22s but those engines dont last long.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 25 2003, 11:30 PM

This depends on the car. For a supra (inline 6), yes single T-78 or T-88 is better than than TT.

However, i've heard for V-shaped motors twin turbos work better.

My buddy has 96 supra w/Greddy T-78! :D :D

Originally posted by dcsports413+May 27 2003, 08:29 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 25 2003, 11:30 PM

This depends on the car. For a supra (inline 6), yes single T-78 or T-88 is better than than TT.

If i were a supra owner, i wouldn't want a turbo as big as a t88, way too big, way too laggy. You won't make any power until after 5500 rpms, and even then it's just in short bursts.
When TT setups on supras are done correctly with bigger sequential turbos they make the power they want, and they make it alot quicker than a big laggy t-88.
Know only because a friend of mine just made 900 whp on the bottle off of a t-78 and he's moving onto a TT setup now.

And I didn't mean bust=brake, I meant as in "vegas or bust" like the phrase....nevermind...i meant TT or nothing.

My buddy had a stock turbo transam and it was a single turbo, but he built it even more and yeah it was fucking a huge turbo, like the size of a semi's I belive. But yeah, extreme turbo lag=torque steer and yeah he hit a phone pole. RIP transam.

Slammed89Integra Posted on May 27 2003, 09:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My buddy had a stock turbo transam and it was a single turbo, but he built it even more and yeah it was fucking a huge turbo, like the size of a semi's I belive. But yeah, extreme turbo lag=torque steer and yeah he hit a phone pole. RIP transam.

Ouch! right into a phone poll...

Originally posted by dcsports413@May 27 2003, 08:29 AM

Twin turbo on V-motors is good cause two seperate manifolds, 1 manifold+2 turbos= too much turbo lag
2manifolds+2 turbos=same turbo lag you get from 1 turbo on one manifold. make sense. 4 cylinders shouldnt be TT unless they are some small ass turbos, like the T03's from the old school DSM's, :lol: thats my $.02

Originally posted by boostdGS+May 27 2003, 11:28 AM-->
pissedoffsol

twin turbo is NOT better than single.  look at all the supra guys who UPGRADE to a single turbo.

If i were a supra owner, i wouldn't want a turbo as big as a t88, way too big, way too laggy. You won't make any power until after 5500 rpms, and even then it's just in short bursts.
When TT setups on supras are done correctly with bigger sequential turbos they make the power they want, and they make it alot quicker than a big laggy t-88.
Know only because a friend of mine just made 900 whp on the bottle off of a t-78 and he's moving onto a TT setup now.

thats the reason for TT, less lag using smaller turbos. but you sacrifice a "hard" hit up top.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+May 28 2003, 12:21 PM-->
Originally posted by boostdGS@May 27 2003, 11:28 AM
pissedoffsol

twin turbo is NOT better than single.  look at all the supra guys who UPGRADE to a single turbo.

thats the reason for TT, less lag using smaller turbos. but you sacrifice a "hard" hit up top.

Correct me if im wrong, but the supra TT had sequential turbos.(small one to spool really fast, then bigger one for the main power). Yes, less lag, but wouldn't the bigger one "hit" pretty hard on top?

yes supras have that but other TT cars, like skyline, have acutal "twin" turbos.

i dont really know how it compares but I am guessing the sequential setup would cause the smaller turbo to spin slower or something b/c of the compressed air coming from larger turbo.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 28 2003, 03:09 PM
i dont really know how it compares but I am guessing the sequential setup would cause the smaller turbo to spin slower or something b/c of the compressed air coming from larger turbo.

:huh: ??????
they arent connected at all

there is a "door" that switches what turbo is getting the exhaust gas and providing the boost for whatever RPM/load/speed/whatever
so the small turbo spools up very fast and provides boost at low RPMs then when more boost is needed for more power than the smaller turbo can provide the door switches and the larger turbo now takes over
and there is usually something that pre loads the larger turbo before the switch so there is no secondary lag

this twin turbo setup is very good
but it takes up a lot of space.... so if you want a larger turbo chances are you cant get 2 of them in the space available so people swap to one
and its heavy.... twice the turbos means more piping and all that shit so it is lighter to go with one larger turbo

guy at school tried to do it on his Honda and it was way too much trouble for the crappy response he got.

Back