SIR2 front brake swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

short story

I have a set of front brakes, knuckles and all off of the sir2 that my engine came out of. I need to fix my stock lx brakes so I plan on swapping the sir2 on instead of dumping money into the 9.5" setup

questions

did the sir2's have ABS and would that affect me at all? I don't have abs

would a civic EX master cylinder (15/16) be a direct swap, does it have to be a MC off of a car that didn't have ABS?

what is a good combo of pads and rotors, as I will replace those before puting them on my car? (are crossed drilled worth it? I do about 3 or 4 autoX a year)

should I go with SS brake lines, and if so what would be the recomendation on those and are there any companys that sell just front lines instead of all four? because I don't think there was any other honda that had the 10.4" discs up front with drums in back.

thanks guys, anything else I should be aware of?

the knuckles is a bolt on affair, installation is cake and there won't be any compatibility problems.

The EX master cylinder will NOT be a direct swap because it has ABS. Your best bet is to get an Integra RS master cylinder since it doesn't have ABS.

Get some Axxis or Hawk pads and keep the stock rotors if they're still ok, if they're not get some Autozone rotors and have them cyro treated, or just get some brembo blanks everyone else on here praises. Cross Drilled/slotted rotors are just for show.

Just get the SS lines for your LX, it doesn't matter what size the brakes are, SS lines are just lines made out stainless steel instead of rubber to prevent flexing. You could get Goodridge or Earl's. I have project mu bling lines. :D

gluck

Originally posted by seanjuan@Sep 22 2004, 10:11 AM
short story

I have a set of front brakes, knuckles and all off of the sir2 that my engine came out of. I need to fix my stock lx brakes so I plan on swapping the sir2 on instead of dumping money into the 9.5" setup

questions

did the sir2's have ABS and would that affect me at all? I don't have abs

would a civic EX master cylinder (15/16) be a direct swap, does it have to be a MC off of a car that didn't have ABS?

what is a good combo of pads and rotors, as I will replace those before puting them on my car? (are crossed drilled worth it? I do about 3 or 4 autoX a year)

should I go with SS brake lines, and if so what would be the recomendation on those and are there any companys that sell just front lines instead of all four? because I don't think there was any other honda that had the 10.4" discs up front with drums in back.

thanks guys, anything else I should be aware of?
[post=393422]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the reply,
I had heard that the Teg RS MC was the one to find, I just wasn't sure if the EX would work or not.

I think I will end up going with Brembo blanks depending on how the rotors look when I pull them out of storage next week.

the only thing with the lines that I was worried about would be that the larger calipers would have different fittings than the smaller ones. I should have figured that the fittings would be the same regardless

thanks again
Sean

Originally posted by word@Sep 23 2004, 01:31 PM
the knuckles is a bolt on affair, installation is cake and there won't be any compatibility problems.

The EX master cylinder will NOT be a direct swap because it has ABS. Your best bet is to get an Integra RS master cylinder since it doesn't have ABS.

Get some Axxis or Hawk pads and keep the stock rotors if they're still ok, if they're not get some Autozone rotors and have them cyro treated, or just get some brembo blanks everyone else on here praises. Cross Drilled/slotted rotors are just for show.

Just get the SS lines for your LX, it doesn't matter what size the brakes are, SS lines are just lines made out stainless steel instead of rubber to prevent flexing. You could get Goodridge or Earl's. I have project mu bling lines. :D

gluck

[post=393964]Quoted post[/post]​

im pretty sure the 90-91 civic ex 4dr m/c is a direct bolt onto the civic booster. the teg m/c does not bolt on, and requires the teg booster too.

Originally posted by handlebarsfsr@Sep 23 2004, 04:11 PM
im pretty sure the 90-91 civic ex 4dr m/c is a direct bolt onto the civic booster. the teg m/c does not bolt on, and requires the teg booster too.
[post=394017]Quoted post[/post]​

good to know, I would rather not replace the booster if I don't have to. just seems like a bigger MC would be a good idea.

do you know what size the 90-91 civic ex MC is? I'd like either a 1" or a 15/16"

are there any good resources out there for determining this?

thanks

are there ABS specific brake pads? or are the pads the same regardless of ABS?

Back