SiR2 swap or turbo D

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IndyCivic

hey, I'm new here but have trolled the articles. Real good info IMO.

Anyway, I picked up a b16a SiR longblock without cams dizzy alternator or valve cover last week for a $100 for fun but now I don't know what I should do. I want more power so it boils down to buying what I need for a swap (tranny axels mounts cams etc?) or getting the z6 turbo'd.

Thanks

Just do the swap, it says more about your ability to do something with your car. Be sides, right now your at a good stand point. You have a engine waiting for cams and the parts for the swap. So now you can go collect parts and build how you want the engine. At the same time continue driving your current civic with out trying to rush the swap and making it a half way done.

if you've got a semi complete b16 for $100 you're on the right path... swap that and boost since it cost you so little for the motor

right on thanks for the input. I heard that the difference between b16a gen2 and b16a2 were the pistons and cams. I have the p30 pistons but would there be a huge difference to get b16a2 cams? They seem cheaper

unless you are on a really tight budget, get something better than b16 stock cams. they are the poorest b series vtec cam, so much so that they are pretty much free. i have a set of b16 cams that i cant even sell for $20. at least get some gsr cams, or better yet get type r cams or some mild aftermarket ones.

IMO -

(this is coming from someone who has done countless swaps so consider this rather unbiased) I'd recommend you turbo the D series. A D series on 7-8 lbs of boost will leave a stock or lightly modified B16 in the dust. Also, when you buy an engine and have to get the rest of the swap together piece by piece, it adds up quickly. You can have that D turbo'd with a basic setup for ~1500 USD. You will spend atleast that on getting your b16 in and running and the D will be much faster turbo'd for the same price.

On another note, if you plan to do more under the hood shortly down the road, I'd recommend the B, then turbo it - :D

d ftw but keep the b16 and gradually biuld it for boost and just reuse you d turbo kit on the b. but dt is by far the best thing to do

decisions decisions haha.

Seems like he stock b16 can hold ~10psi at around 230-240hp while d16 can hold 8 for about 180. Stock obviously. Both look like they were picked last in pickup games at torque elementary. Either way I'm going to build this B stock for now.

Input is appreciated!

cant find any cam gears sorry man! if you want the cams we can work something out. the are pretty heavy so shipping will probably be $10-20 im guessing...

yeah man i would grab those since they come with gears. i would just give these to you for free if you were local, but if i have to go through the trouble of shipping them id have to at least make a few bucks.

IMO -

(this is coming from someone who has done countless swaps so consider this rather unbiased) I'd recommend you turbo the D series. A D series on 7-8 lbs of boost will leave a stock or lightly modified B16 in the dust. Also, when you buy an engine and have to get the rest of the swap together piece by piece, it adds up quickly. You can have that D turbo'd with a basic setup for ~1500 USD. You will spend atleast that on getting your b16 in and running and the D will be much faster turbo'd for the same price.

On another note, if you plan to do more under the hood shortly down the road, I'd recommend the B, then turbo it - :D

d ftw but keep the b16 and gradually biuld it for boost and just reuse you d turbo kit on the b. but dt is by far the best thing to do

these right here are the best suggestions.

if it were me, id piece together a turbo kit, look in the right places and you can do this for cheaper than 1500.

then you'll have a fun d series to beat on for a while.
while you are enjoying the boost on the d, start slowly building the b to handle more power.
screw rebuilding a block to stock, spend the money wisely to build the block to give more to you. you have to buy the parts anyway, may as well buy better parts now than buy stock then have to buy more later.

imo i'd say start to build up the b16. i have one in my sedan that i swapped, and now that its in i really wish that i had kept it out and built it more than i did. when i got it i still did typical maintenance stuff but i really wish that i would have kept the stock d15 in and built the b16 up before. if i were you i'd stick with the b16 and build that up and make it a great engine that when you put it in you'll be happy with the power and all

Back