Skipping/Stubbling/Hesitation in my CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Moon Ill

My 90 CRX DX had skippin/hesitation under hard acceleration. If i slowly pressed down the pedal there isn't any. But if I slam down on it, or rev from idle to 3grand there was skipping/hesitation. Also, I looked at my plugs, all of them were just about fouled. and the number 4 plug has oil on it, almost up to the top of the threads.
I still have no clue why I have oil on the plug, but there apparently must be oil in that cylinder. Also, fuel pump is good because fuel is coming out of the exit side of the fuel filter when I press down on the accelerator. Last Wednesday I was on my way to school and the car sputtered a then the rpm's started dropping while I had the throttle pressed. So I down shifted, still same (rpm's kept dropping while gas was pressed). So I pulled over. My friend and my dad come eventually, we pull the plugs out and they were bone dry, like, no gas was in the cyl or something.

I've replaced the distrib. cap, the spark plug wires, and the spark pulgs. I've also replaced the fuel filter, and I just put in som BOSCH Platinum +2 spark plugs in.

Does anybody have a clue as to whats going on?

bump

I'm having similar problems with my b16 although they are more sporadic

planning on doing the same and replacing the plugs,wires,cap and rotor and see if that helps

anyone have any ideas?

sean

When I crank it it attempts to start, but doesn't.
Sometimes it does start, but it will only run for no more than 5 seconds and then die.
Sometimes when it dies it will shoot white smoke out of the throttlebody.
Also, when I had it started I tried to rev it up. It would hit 2000RPM's and then die.
I've been advised to do a leakdown test and a compression test. I just bought a compression tester from NAPA today. I have a question about the tester also. How do i tighten it down without destroying the rubber hose?

Heres a list of stuff I've replaced so far:
-Spark Plugs (Platium +2's)
-Spark Plug Wires (BOSCH)
-Distributor Cap and Rotor
-Main Fuel Injector
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Main Relay
-Fuel Pump
(that all I can remember right now)

My friend's b16 swap does the same thing. There was oil on the #4 plug, I cleaned it and same thing. By the way, just turn the hose to tighten the compression tester, it doesn't have to be as tight as a spark plug is. Also, don't forget to hold the throttle wide open and pull all the spark plugs.

Just an educated guess.... have you checked your timing in both ignition and the timing belt? (to explain the sputtering) For the oil, do a leakdown test to see if you are leaking in the oil from the head.

Back