skunk 2 stage 1 cams in ls/v

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gillo

Whats up, i just put the skunk 2 stage 1 cams in my ls/vtec.. Everything else is stock besides intake and full exhaust. I Still have the LS tranny aswell. When i put the cams in, all the timing is correct and what not, but it feels a bit sluggish from 1000-3500 RPM. When VTEC engages, all hell breaks loose and it pulls nicely. I had to adjust my fuel pressure lower (50-38 PSI)because it was bogging a bit. Im just wondering about a few things.
- If I were to advance timing one tooth on each cam gear, would that be helpful, or would I end up burning a valve?

- I know I need a short geared tranny(b16/gsr) but will it make a HUGE difference?

- Would tuning the ECU help out the sluggishness, or is just because i have the LS Tranny?

- If I were to change the pistons, what pistons would I use? People tell me some would work and others say that they wouldn't. Just want to know if anyone has changed them and gained sufficient power/compression.

I dont know very much about this so any help would be greatly appreciated. And if anybody has a similar setup as me, how does it run. Not many people where I live have the LS/Vtec so i dont know.
Thanks

the ls pistons [from what ive heard and read] dont have a large enough valve relief for that much cam or that much sprocket tuning.
i would go with a set of pr3 pistons from honda [99 civic si], some nice rings and ARP rod bolts and head studs. vtec water, oil pump and timing belt. with a couple hours on the dyno youll be golden. dyno time is the only way to make sure the engine is at its best performance / operational level.. and it will get rid of that "loss" of power you have now

alot of people dont like the ls tranny, because of the gear ratio, the gsr tranny is the best overall tranny [m2c], then the si. but the tranny has nothing to do with the engine tuning, just acceleration. and speed

Good Call! The Pr3's Are Good Pistons, Running Stock Pistons with bigger lift cams Will Make Your Car Lazy. I Have A Set In My Da

Back