Skunk 2 Stage 2 cams vs. Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

just a quick question..i plan on running a stage 2 cam in my sohc vtec head (z6),would the higher lift,and longer duration "fight" the turbo,and overlap the valves alot,and be a lot more dangerous...or will it be fine with the right tuning and adjustment...cus if its too dangerous,i will either go with the stage 1,or the turbo cam...someone give me an idea of what i should do...by the way,i plan on either running a t3..or a t25 turbo..small,quick spool up.

You should get the turbo cam. Since you have a SOHC, you can't really adjust the cam for the turbo. Adjusting cams to suit a turbo usually involves reducing the overlap between the intake and exhaust events, and you can't do that if your intake and exhaust are locked to each other on one single cam. All you can do is advance or retard the entire cam- you can't adjust intake/exhaust independently.

It's not dangerous to run the N/A cam on a boosted setup, but you'd probably be better off with the stock cam compared to the N/A stage 2- and you'd definitely be even better off with the turbo profile cam. If you want to run the stage 2 N/A cam because you want an all motor performance increase before you go turbo, don't. Just get the turbo profile cam- it'll still give you some performance over stock, and it will work well with the turbo when you finally get it.

if it were me, i'd use the stock z6 cam, and spend the money on something else, like fuel management.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 14 2004, 10:07 AM
if it were me, i'd use the stock z6 cam, and spend the money on something else, like fuel management.
[post=431856]Quoted post[/post]​

i like this pissedoffsol- you can always count on this one comming from you on a turbo question but it will always be 100% right - the cam isnt needed - like brian said fuel management but then you must think brian what can he get for fuel management that will give him the same power he is looking and trying to pull from a cam-i think he should wait on fm until he has undergone his turbo build in case he decided to go n.a last minute - i would personally look into building your head right now or bottom end -choose your rods -can go either way from their right ! UNLESS... your like bbka (beerbong) all motor uber junky who knows his uber ! sol will tell you his persana - hondata- which they will admit both are great systems . im just bored right now @ work and have nothing else to do but blabber on -

I agree- you can still make the same amount of peak power with the stock cam, but the S2S2 cam will make your head more efficient, and give you a more full power curve and the same power at lower boost.

i plan on getting good Fuel management..but i also want my head to put out a little bit more power than it should...i was just trying to figure out if the Stage 2 cam would affect my boost drastically...so i guess im gonna just either get a stage 1,or a turbo cam.

ohh yea,and i cant build up my bottom end..i have a b7 dx bottom end..which means i have to solely rely on tuning,and management,in order to avoid blowing the motor.

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Dec 15 2004, 09:16 AM
i plan on getting good Fuel management..but i also want my head to put out a little bit more power than it should...i was just trying to figure out if the Stage 2 cam would affect my boost drastically...so i guess im gonna just either get a stage 1,or a turbo cam.

ohh yea,and i cant build up my bottom end..i have a b7 dx bottom end..which means i have to solely rely on tuning,and management,in order to avoid blowing the motor.
[post=432449]Quoted post[/post]​

thats sucks & good luck! but atlest with keeping it single cam u can pick up a new block for next to nothing -!

Originally posted by b204dr+Dec 15 2004, 08:31 AM-->
@Dec 15 2004, 09:16 AM

[post=432449]Quoted post[/post]​

thats sucks & good luck! but atlest with keeping it single cam u can pick up a new block for next to nothing -!
[post=432450]Quoted post[/post]​

yea i know,i dont know whats gonna happen,or how much power i can make..or if it will even last...but if i do it right (small,quick spooling turbo,Hondata,etc.)i could make some pretty good power,and be satisfied

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Dec 15 2004, 10:12 AM
heh,that would probably be a good idea..im just wondering how easy it would be to blow that engine...
[post=432472]Quoted post[/post]​

depends on how much boost - and what fuel management like usual - stick under 6 psi .. should be very hard- over 6 keeps getting easier and easier !

Remember though d series engines are really cheap to pick up. Thats the beauty of a SOHC turbo. When it blows you get a new setup. What kind of output are you looking for?

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 15 2004, 01:15 PM
That's easy to get on a SOHC D without any engine mods.  Just strap on the turbo and tune.
[post=432601]Quoted post[/post]​

would i be able to exceed that,if i tuned the shit out of it? and had great engine and fuel management,cus i plan on running hondata (car is being converted to obd1) and upgrading my whole fuel system first.

Yup. I've got a few friends that made 220hp/200lbft at the wheels on all stock internals, and there are tons of people on the net making even more than that.

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 15 2004, 03:16 PM
Yup. I've got a few friends that made 220hp/200lbft at the wheels on all stock internals, and there are tons of people on the net making even more than that.
[post=432625]Quoted post[/post]​

bbka(beerbongskickass) talk to him if u wanna run uberdata! he is running a d series boosted making 220ish i think his sig sais

Originally posted by b204dr+Dec 15 2004, 02:18 PM-->
@Dec 15 2004, 03:16 PM
Yup.  I've got a few friends that made 220hp/200lbft at the wheels on all stock internals, and there are tons of people on the net making even more than that.
[post=432625]Quoted post[/post]​

bbka(beerbongskickass) talk to him if u wanna run uberdata! he is running a d series boosted making 220ish i think his sig sais
[post=432627]Quoted post[/post]​

yea,i know,hes one of the main reasons that inspired me to do mini me turbo...of course theres always more potential in having another cam..or having a b series engine..but im not a power craving person..i just want to have a quick little crx,and put in decent times at the track.

Back