skunk2 IM makes my car rev to 4000rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Arachnid

I'm stuck, I've just bought a skunk2 IM for my '97 civic ex d16y8 and have recently installed it. Now!!! the engine revs like crazy, it holds at 4000rpm. I've checked all the hoses and such and i bought new gaskets for both the IM and TB. If anyone has had any experience with IMs please help out.

will that work, how do i do that
any help will be so kind

i've checked the throttle cable and it's loose enough to not cause it to rev. i still don't know how to reset ecu though.

there should be two nuts on each side of a bracket holding the throttle cable near the throttle body. adjust one and then the other to move it, once you do that and find the right spot tighten it.

I had the same problem, your manifold gasket is leaking. Used some silicon on the both sides of the gasket, fixed the problem.

Originally posted by eghatchvtec@Apr 13 2004, 11:17 PM
I had the same problem, your manifold gasket is leaking. Used some silicon on the both sides of the gasket, fixed the problem.

may not be the problem but could be. question you say you put new gaskets on right well did you get all of the old ones off? like was there any residue or anything left behind that could cause a very small space?

well i did a manifold install on a gsr, we didnt get all the shit off before we put it on and we had this problem also. check the cable and if that doesnt help then check the gasket.

you could barely see the leftover gasket that was stuck on the manifold still so if you didnt clean it well then this may be whats wrong. we used some paint thinner and some fine sand paper gently and removed the residue.

Originally posted by Arachnid@Apr 13 2004, 11:33 PM
dang that's right, i got lazy on scraping every single little peice of the old gasket off.

hard lesson learned just like we learned. probably need to buy a new gasket now too and this time get all the shit off.

Spray carb cleaner around the intake manifold gasket. You will hear it sucking in the fluid where it is leaking, if it is. More importantly, the engine will rev or bog (depending on how much it draws in) if the carb cleaner gets sucked up due to a leak. Start here before you waste the time pulling it off.

Back