skunk2 stage 2 cams drive w/out tune?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Domi31

I have a 1996 JDM B18C ITR motor with a bad front main seal leak, and becuase of that I will be replacing the oil pump, water pump, belt, spring tensioner etc. I like to change things once I get something apart, just because "I'm already there" so...

because of this I am thinking of installing my SK2 Tuner Stage 2 cams, along with valves springs, retainers. But I dont have money for a tune right now, If I intstall these will my car be driveable? with a P28 w/a ITR base map?

it will drive, but i wouldn't take it to redline or even floor it in vtec. it will be lean.

you might also need bigger injectors (310s) as the stock itr basically uses up all the duty cycle of the stock 240cc's

If, without a tune, they will perform worse than your stockers, what purpose would that serve?

If, without a tune, they will perform worse than your stockers, what purpose would that serve?

not neccesary looking to race it (after what B posted none of that), just need to move in/out of garage, or even drive to get a bite to eat. I just dont want my car to run like total ass untill I get money for a tune.

but either way they are probley going in, bought my first house 6 months ago and finaly moving in (major reconstruction), so moving out of my Pops garage and have a need to do some wrenching!! Just want to know once the cams are in, will the car have to sit untill the tune?

You SHOULD let it sit until the tune- but you can drive it if you're really careful. Honestly, installing cams isn't that hard, and considering the risk you could be taking (and the duration), I would leave them out until you're ready to tune.

^^ X2 Leave it alone until you save the extra 25-30% (for tune) to the total cost of the cams/springs/retainers. You don't need to take a bunch of crap apart to install cams. At least in terms of "I'm already there"

Back