Skyline R34 GTR = Legal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Reading the september 15 issue of autoweek, they have an article about the porsche 959 and the struggle people had to import them. From the mid 90's all the way to 2000, people (bill gates, Ralph Lauren, and a few other big shots) fought to get this passed so they could import a 959. Anyways, I will quote them...

"We formulated a law, that if 500 or fewer cars were produced, if they weren't currently produced, if they were never US legal, and if they were rare- you could import them without having passed DOT standards, as long as EPA standard and were driven no less then 2500 miles per year, they'd be legal - Autoweek, 9-15-03, pg 17"

So would this make some versions of the skyline legal? I know that the last special version of the skyline, they only made 100 of them (except they were going for alot more then the normal skyline price) I am sure that there were a few other skyline versions here and there that they only made 500 of.

Just a thought.

actually you can find a BNR34 skyline gt-r for as low as 9000 in japan. brand spanking new one is around 28000 US.

:( :( :(

still a bargain compared to that motorex place...charging fuckin over 100k for shit..

Uhmmm....

I can get the whole car....slightly wrecked for $100....
get two car's..one that was hit from behind, and one hit in the front...both for $200.
Then ship them both here as spare parts..shipping would be $2000-7000.
Dis-assymbol, sepperate, reassymbol...build one car out of both of them....
register it for an race car only....but (the rest is up to you)......

it's just not going to be street legal in America...thanks to the patent that Motorex put on that car.

The best bet would be to try to import an R30...and in a year or so an R31...different states lets you register 25 year old cars with no questions asked, some state may be 20....or 15....or Canada might be your other option for a newer car.

And if you want to ask how I can get the whole car for $100...wrecked or not...
I used to work at a junkyard in Japan...I demolished mint cars to just get the scrap metal values.......even turbos for their aluminum....I feel bad now, but at the time...I had to eat somehow...and I didn't know import parts was so popular.

I could just see it now, some dude in japan saying 'wow, this Red honda engine can probally get me $50, I will be living like a king for the next week!"

Originally posted by asmallsol@Sep 12 2003, 08:10 PM
I could just see it now, some dude in japan saying 'wow, this Red honda engine can probally get me $50, I will be living like a king for the next week!"

actually the living standards in japan are pretty darn high.. 50 bucks wouldnt cut it given that a newspaper periodical and a pack of bubble gum costs 5,000 yens ($5.00).. and the only reason why they sell cars/parts for dirt cheap is because its fucking expensive to own a car, especially over 50,000 miles.. anyway, you have to pay for everything, like parking at your own fucking house because japan is so crowded.. i forgot, but i might be able to find an article on how much it is to really own a car in japan.. oh assmallsol, i dunnoe if you can find one of those skylines anymore.. the nurspec and the mspec were all bought up a year in advance prior to public release.. maybe some rich bastard beat the fuck out of one and has over 50k miles on it and is willing to get rid of it for the 1/4 of purchase price? it could happen :D

5,000 yens = $5.00

Try $50.00

Parking is a high price....I had a parking spot for my van over there...it was $300 a month...my rent for the cheesy apartment was also $300....

oops my bad.. yeah its like what 98.something yens to a dollar?? neway, living is just fucking high.. but its nice how they have all these instant machines.. haha

i saw a skyline cruising down pacific coast highway in seal beach the other day. it was an R34. white with a blue streak down the side and...brace yourselves...

...a WING!

can somebody find the law that states a skyline being illegal. b/c as far as i know a skyline is not illegal in the u.s.. and as for shipping from japan yes it is expensive but i have found a company that will ship cars for 900$ to almost any major port in the u.s..

if it doesn't meet US DOT codes and laws, not to mention federal emissions laws it's illegal. and I'll bet my entire paycheck that it's not, which means if you import it you'll have to pay to have it legalized for street use in the United States.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 13 2003, 01:18 PM
there were more than 500 skylines made im afraid.

No, but it still falls into..
if they weren't currently produced, if they were never US legal,

This catagory.

Back