Skyline seizures

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you can own a skyline; just buy a G35. if you want a gt-r, buy the new nissan gt-r. now if you want a skyline gt-r that will be a little harder :p. as for the legality of skyline gt-r's there is a lot of confusion and gray areas.

1) only "legal" in all 48 states, skylines are ALL from Motorex. I think it was around 10-15 R34s and a handful of R33s and R32s. The reason they got boated was because they did all the correct testing for NHTSA/DOT and all that good stuff for R33s. And yes, that means crashing a few and making proper modifications for them to be street legal in the US. However, they started bring other versions of GT-Rs, including even a few Silivas, as R33s. So they got caught and canned.

2) now a few importers and enthusiasts are trying really really really really hard for the government to release the info required to make R33s legal again because the Motorex owned the rights, but since the above happened, the gov. has the docs and are feed up with dealing with this whole gt-r issue. BUT, if/when they do or you some how have the paper work, you can still legally import R33s.

3) as for the R32s, the 25 year classic car loop hole will be coming up soon. that means any 89' R32s will be able to successfully register and be driven legally.

4) the other loop hole is given when you register the car as demo and be driven very very very little and mostly just for show/track use.

5) lastly, there is the kit-car rule. some companies such as kaizo will buy the shells, make them compliant, order a motor separately and ship them here. then they proceed to put them together and call it a kit-car. this is very shadely and depending on local laws, it will interrupted differently. however, looks like kaizo you got f**ked.
Kaizo-Owned Nissan Skyline GT-R Impounded in San Diego

so there you have it.

The ones registered in other states may be legal, but I guess it's the Cali ones that are illegal. Who knows. There's a local guy that owns a R34 though, I might ask him if he knows about it(he owns some shop around here, might be Tuner Solutions).

no, its federal law that they are breaking by having these. its illegal in the us period.
its just cali that has a lot of them and the want to make the money by taking them away.

1) only "legal" in all 48 states, skylines are ALL from Motorex. I think it was around 10-15 R34s and a handful of R33s and R32s. The reason they got boated was because they did all the correct testing for NHTSA/DOT and all that good stuff for R33s. And yes, that means crashing a few and making proper modifications for them to be street legal in the US. However, they started bring other versions of GT-Rs, including even a few Silivas, as R33s. So they got caught and canned.

thats a big grey area, the ones that they imported while functioning "legally" can be questioned a seized at any time. just depending on the mood of whoever is in charge that day.

2) now a few importers and enthusiasts are trying really really really really hard for the government to release the info required to make R33s legal again because the Motorex owned the rights, but since the above happened, the gov. has the docs and are feed up with dealing with this whole gt-r issue. BUT, if/when they do or you some how have the paper work, you can still legally import R33s.

they wont release that info. after the few companies that were allowed to do it legally started going crooked and making stupid decisions, they arent going to let that happen again.

3) as for the R32s, the 25 year classic car loop hole will be coming up soon. that means any 89' R32s will be able to successfully register and be driven legally.

yep, that is the only hope, you want a r34? just wait til they are over 25 years old. or you can go ahead and get one now and store it til the 25 year exemption goes into effect.

4) the other loop hole is given when you register the car as demo and be driven very very very little and mostly just for show/track use.

thats not exactly a loophole, under that registration you can only put around 100 to 200 miles on the odometer per year. (the loophole is just swapping the gauge cluster with another one in between inspections.)

5) lastly, there is the kit-car rule. some companies such as kaizo will buy the shells, make them compliant, order a motor separately and ship them here. then they proceed to put them together and call it a kit-car. this is very shadely and depending on local laws, it will interrupted differently. however, looks like kaizo you got f**ked.
Kaizo-Owned Nissan Skyline GT-R Impounded in San Diego

no. this is not legal in any way. it violates FEDERAL law, which trumps state law.
this will get you a registration in some states, not all, but the car can be seized by the government at any given time. period.
there is no legal way to import these cars. there are ways around the laws that can get you a registration and US title, but the vehicle is still illegal to own/operate on public roads.

so there you have it.

I dunno about the rules in the states, so I can't say anything. As far as I know these skyline's are legit in canada. My good buddy near Toronto has a '91 R32, and another buddy is Barrie, Ont. also has a R32, as well as a R33. I've seen a handful of those new GT-R's here around Toronto...now that car is a serious stock animal. From what I've heard, the hardest part is finding an insurance company that will insure those cars for a reasonable price.

forgot about the 25 yr rule... i might be building a monster CRX in a few years then... muahahahaha

gotta be careful with that.
25 years and you can import them.
but vehicles that were made after 1975 are required to do emissions testing in places that require it. regardless of whether or not they are 25 years or older. at least here it is.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/elig060109.pdf

car list stating R33 GTRs as legal. also, includes a paragraph or so about the 25 classic car rule.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/ShowDisplay/howToDisplay.pdf

rules for the show and display law. 2500miles/12mos.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/sdlist040109.pdf

list has R34 GTR 99' vintage.

anyway, i dont know if invisibledemon was trying to disagree or agree? but either way, it is really up to the to whose in charge.

however, i do believe those few that got through as motorex are 100% legit. sure, they can amend and take it away from you (they do it to the constitution), but its the safest way besides waiting for the 25 year limitation.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/elig060109.pdf

car list stating R33 GTRs as legal. also, includes a paragraph or so about the 25 classic car rule.

it doesnt list them as legal, it lists them as eligible to be made legal.

to get one of these you would have to modify it (and be a registered and legal importer of the vehicle) to us dot standards.

****im retarded, see post below with the .pdf file. has all information about getting these legal.
you would have to have all of this done.

you have to be an actual importer. individuals cannot do this.
from the site:
Under one of the exceptions to this prohibition, found in 49 U.S.C. § 30141, a motor vehicle that was
not originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS can be lawfully imported into the
United States, provided it is determined eligible for importation by the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration (NHTSA), and is imported by a registered importer, or by a person who has a
contract with a registered importer to bring the vehicle into compliance with all applicable FMVSS
following importation.
good info, i couldnt remember the actual amount of miles it can have on it, it used to be MUCH lower than 2500 though. glad they boosted that up.

vintage? i dont get it?
it also lists the 95 gts-t, and the r32 gtr as ineligible.
but, really, if you put it down as a show car or track car (and arent trying to screw around on it), they are pretty lenient on importing just about anything.

anyway, i dont know if invisibledemon was trying to disagree or agree? but either way, it is really up to the to whose in charge.

however, i do believe those few that got through as motorex are 100% legit. sure, they can amend and take it away from you (they do it to the constitution), but its the safest way besides waiting for the 25 year limitation.
im not disagreeing to be an ass, nor am i disagreeing with everything.
just stating what i know and what i may be wrong about.
but from everything i have read, and seen, heard, whatever, its not legal, and you can lose your car at any time.

Last edited:
file:///C:/DOCUME~1/jon/LOCALS~1/Temp/NHTSA-2005-22654-0047.pdf (copy/paste in browser. should work.)
you would have to have all of this done.

You will need to upload the file to somewhere online, I don't have that file located on C:\DOCUME~1 on my computer nor do I have a \jon folder inside of it

if you REALLY want a skyline, buy one from canada, tow it down, and find someone who will register it illegally. it might cost a couple grand, but there are people out there who can get you a legit, state registration. they are shady, and it's a little risky, but if you want one, it's not hard to do.

You will need to upload the file to somewhere online, I don't have that file located on C:\DOCUME~1 on my computer nor do I have a \jon folder inside of it

eh, im a retard when it comes to this shit.

try this.

Attachments

• NHTSA-2005-22654-0047.pdf
    790.3 KB · Views: 463
looking through that file, fuck trying to get one of those legal.
theres a lot of shit to do.
and the airbags, you cant get them. states in the file that they are only available through their own company because they are made for them.

their website doesnt do much good for anything though
JK TECHNOLOGIES - US Specifications Car Conversion

but who knows, they may be doing a low profile kind of business, or they just dont do this shit anymore.

also, from what i have read, they didnt actually do much of the work, apparently they only filed the petition for motorex. or some shit like that.

if you REALLY want a skyline, buy one from canada, tow it down, and find someone who will register it illegally. it might cost a couple grand, but there are people out there who can get you a legit, state registration. they are shady, and it's a little risky, but if you want one, it's not hard to do.

I know people do that with other cars(Honda Beat, etc.) and has been suggested in some of those Nissan forums, but I haven't heard of anyone going through that method.

Anyone interested in a 87 crx with an r34 swap?

I have a rust free 87 CRX, modded and welded...
I also have an R34 GTS-T swap...RB25DET
I also have 16x11 wheels....with 245/45's
I also have a houseman wide body kit for said wheels...
I'll even throw in a rotisserie....
I also have a Datsun RWD diff and parts to make it drive and smoke anything on the roads known to exist..... 1800 lbs...buildable to 15,000hp.......just add money...

:)

Back