Sleeve bore size, how big?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

livinlow

Re-sleeving my b18c1 with new pistons/rings and rods. At what point do I need to deshroud the valves for the head. I was thinking of going with 83 mm to avoid extensive head work as opposed to going to 85 mm. What you you think?

You don't need to deshroud the valves at all... The 84mm bore B20 uses the same head configuration as a B18A/B, and it doesn't require modification to run correctly. Most of the B20/VTEC setups out there are running unmodified VTEC heads also. I'm running 85.5mm bore right now with a completely stock head.

I guess that I didn't get the right information. In that case, would a 83mm or a 85mm setup be more beneficial for boost?

I guess 84mm is pretty much the max you want to go if your planning on boosting, anymore and it gets kinda iffy. If you go with 83mm and end up melting a piston, you can bore it out (83.5mm and then 84mm) and rebuild it a few times before the block is useless for boost. Once you go over 84mm though it's pretty much going to be an all motor block. In this thread... http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=565375 ...earl explains why he prefers doing that. Makes sense to me though.

Back