sleevs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^crx^

how is the sleevs actually monted in the block? i have only watch on a alfa romeo where they only was hold in place by the top, and easy to mont in the garage... is it osm in the honda? (b16)

Well technically they aren't part of the casting. The sleeves are iron and the block is aluminum but thats splitting hairs :D. If you dont have a machine shop with *very* high precision equipment and some useful machining experience, you will never get a sleeve in properly no matter what any DIYer tells you. I know with Benson sleeves(sleevs are made by Darton) they machine the stock sleeves way down into the block and out towards the water jackets, then they heat the block and cool the sleeves and slide them in with less than .0002 clearance or some insanely tight tolerance and once they both get to the same temp they will never move. After that they apply some sort of sealant to the sleeves where they meet the original water jackets to prevent coolant leaks then they check the sleeves for roundness and if they are paralell to each other and perfectly 90*s to the crank bearings. Definately not a weekend wrench sort of project.

so it not wise to wisit my local machine shop and let them do it.... doh

some machine shops can't do it correctly check to see what kinda of shop they are and what kinda motor work they do.

Back