1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight Overheating - 91 Accord F22a

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by wanderinman, Apr 28, 2006.

1. wanderinman

wanderinman Senior Member

Sometimes when I am sitting at traffic lights the temp needle will start to climb towards the red, however, giving a little throttle (usually to 1500-2000 rpm) will cause it to go back down to normal. This would work with my teg when I was low on coolant so I thought that might be the problem but when I checked the reservoir today it was absolutely full, way past the full mark. I am wondering if it might be a bad headgasket pressurizing the system and forcing the coolant into the reservoir, or if maybe a bad water pump is to blame? Any ideas?

2. Turbo&Auto

Turbo&Auto Nick Go FAST!!

Is your fan turning on?

How many miles, ever changed the thermostat?

If you find out you need a rad or rad fans, I have ones in great shape at my house. Lemme know if you need them.

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Maybe your coolant temp sensor is bad?

4. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

Sounds like your fan isn't turning on. Keep in mind it is getting hotter out there, I hate Summer. Anyway, see if you fan is turning on and your t-stat still opening.

On another note, coolant and anti-freeze are only to raise the boiling point and lower the freezing point of the water. Coolant does not help in heat transfer, the water does all that. Since the temps are creeping up outside and getting to be more summer-like, i'd suggest you run 25% coolant, 75% water with some water wetter. Hell, in the middle of the summer you can run just Water and Water Wetter and you'd be perfectly fine.

5. wanderinman

I appreciate all the fast responses. Turned out to be something really, and I mean really dumb. The hose that goes inside of the reservoir for some reason wasn't there, so coolant could get into, but not out. After manually transferring all the of the coolant from the reservoir to the radiator I had no problems at all. Does anybody have the tube that runs from the radiator to the reservoir laying around?

6. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

Autozone does for $3 a foot. [​IMG]

7. wanderinman

Word, I'm there.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted