Slipstreams/Azenis on my Prelude???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude9593

well my tires are pretty worn now and i was thinking about possibly upgrading my wheels when i get new tires. i was thinking about some 15" rota slipstreams with falken azenis. same size as my stock wheels and i think they look pretty similar. plus they're lightweight. i figured i'd save about 5lbs on each wheel compared to my stock wheels. here's a link to a package...http://www.jaydm.com/slipstream.htm.

for $815 (shipped) i can get the wheels and azenis. is that bad? so basically, i'm asking if this would be worthwhile over just getting azenis on my stock wheels. and what color should i get? here's a pic of my car to help your judgement. thanks.
robert.jpg

def get some 16's for a lude.

polished lip = played out... kinda like standing in front of your car for a photoshooot.. lol

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 11 2005, 11:37 PM
def get some 16's for a lude.

polished lip = played out... kinda like standing in front of your car for a photoshooot.. lol
[post=485972]Quoted post[/post]​

lol...youz a funny guy. haha. that was one of my senior pics. just wanted a good pic of my car. oh well.

i was thinking about gunmetal or bronze instead of the silver. not sure though. i was wanting 15's since they're only 12lbs. the 16's are 13.5lbs. i'll see what some of the other guys on here say.

16's def. Prelude's are really big cars. Why do I know this?

I have a 93 Si 4ws. My wheels are peeling and I test fit a set of 15's and they looked un porportional.

lol but b, slipstreams are played out just like starting projects and not finishing them ;) 16's would look alot better than 15's especially since your car isnt exactly small.

16 inch gun metal with polished lip gets my vote.

15s on a lude are tiny... plus, the azenis only come in a 205/50/15. you're better off going to the step up azeni on the 215/45ZR16

the 16's with azenis will run me around $1050 or so. is this a good price or is there a site that ya'll recommend? oh yeah...what's the difference or benefits of running 215/45/16's over 205/50/15's. are they bigger? (sorry, don't know much about tires or their sizes). and if they are bigger, would they not scrub?

and another thing...i just read in another post on here that said the azenis sucked for the drag strip. that made me think about my tire decision here....i want a street tire that gets decent enought in the rain (meaning i don't want to be hydroplaning all the time), good through the turns, and good at hooking at the track. i guess to sum it up, i want a great overall performance tire for a decent price. input is greatly appreciated. :D

Originally posted by lude9593+Apr 12 2005, 12:56 AM-->
the 16's with azenis will run me around $1050 or so. is this a good price or is there a site that ya'll recommend? oh yeah...what's the difference or benefits of running 215/45/16's over 205/50/15's. are they bigger? (sorry, don't know much about tires or their sizes). and if they are bigger, would they not scrub?
[post=485989]Quoted post[/post]​

the 16 will be slightly bigger... i'm running the same size on my civic. the 15s would look tiny on the lude, and may even have issues clearing your brakes. provided you get a proper offset on your wheel, i don't see rubbing being an issue, so long as you aren't sliiizzzamed. even still, it will only be near-lock and doing k-turns and sht where it would hit.

that price seems pretty high.. does that in clude shipping? where are you shopping from?

slips should be about 500 bucks, and the azenis are 75 each from victoriatire.com

lude9593
@Apr 12 2005, 01:10 AM
and another thing...i just read in another post on here that said the azenis sucked for the drag strip. that made me think about my tire decision here....i want a street tire that gets decent enought in the rain (meaning i don't want to be hydroplaning all the time), good through the turns, and good at hooking at the track. i guess to sum it up, i want a great overall performance tire for a decent price. input is greatly appreciated. :D
[post=485994]Quoted post[/post]​

then you don't want the azenis.

they are autocross tires.
they are not drag tires
they are not rain tires.

on the other hand, you won't find a drag tire that is good in the rain, or turns good.

if you build something to do EVERYTHING, it will only do them all mediocre at best.

they are totally drivable in the rain... i'm on y 3rd season with them. they ARE prone to hydroplaning, but if you can drive at 55 in the rain on the highway, its not a big deal. its the big puddles/standing water where they suck. wet traction is actually pretty good. its just the standing water makes them tend to lift.

Kuhmo MX's are more money, and suck ass when its cold out.... but are better in the rain and are pretty sticky. still not a drag tire though.

potenza So3's are twice as much, and are decent in the rain, decent in the turns, and still aren't a drag tire.

see where i'm going with this?

you can't take a mountain bike on a road course, and you can't take a 10-speed in the woods.
then you have those hybrid bikes... that do neither well, but are capable of both

all that said, i don't think its possible to beat the azenis for its price. best tire i've used in its price range. so3's MAY be as good, but they are at least 40 bucks more a tire in most sizes. to me, its not worth it just to be able to drive faster in the rain-- which is a bad idea anyway.

thanks for the info man. the price i stated included shipping and it's from jaydm.com. the link is in my first post. i can get the 16's for $500 free shipping from that place. maybe i'll go buy the tires seperately from the place you suggested.

also, why would 15" slipstreams be any different than my 15" stock wheels in terms of "looking tiny" or have brake clearance issues? i don't think my stock wheels look that small, but i probably will step up to the 16's anyways. the 16's are half an inch wider over my stock wheels but hopefully it won't rub much.

i think i'll stick with the azenis. a lot of people on here say they're good for the price and anything is a step up from the shitty shit tires i have anyways. i can deal with it on the track. they'll probably hook up enough for what i want.

so i guess i'll go with the 16x7 slipstream (probably flat gunmetal metallic)....with some azenis. (215/45/z16????)

sounds good to me.

as for the small thing... stock wheels look small... but when you add an aftermarket one, they look even smaller.

think about it, most civics come with 13 or 14" wheels, and most of us run 15's on 'em...

the 215/45ZR16 azenis are $96 at victoriatire. and the 205/55VR16 are $77. i think the 205's would fit my car better b/c i think my stock tires are 205/55/15, plus they're cheaper. i searched for tires by car make and it came back with the size 205/50/16 for a 16" wheel. sorry to keep asking questions but i just want to do it right the first time. let me know what you think pissedoffsol cuz i'll probably base my decision off of what you recommend.

a 55 profile tire is gonna look funny on the 16's, its going the make the wheels look smaller, a 45 profile is what is going to look better, not just better but not out of place like a 55 would.

are the 45 and 55 relative to the height of the sidewall? so a 45 would be a slightly lower profile tire, making the wheel look bigger, right? i guess i should go with that then even though they are $20 more per tire. oh well. thanks for everyone's help.

Back