"Sloppy" shifter in EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
In my dads 91 ef si the shifter feels really sloppy compared to my ef. Sometimes he misses gears or hits the wrong gears and its only getting worse. Are there some bushings or something I can replace to fix this? Thanks

Yes, you can buy Energy suspension shifter bushings.
13SH20_B35.gif

It replaces #18

Also, sometimes the joint itself on #14 goes bad. People usually shim it(to get rid of any slop) or just buy a new one.

There are, there is a piece up by the tranny that is kind of like a universal joint. I ground out the pins in it and replaced the wore out plastic bushings with 3/8 rubber hose and bolts, also it wouldnt hurt to get a cheap short throw shifter off ebay. If you jack up the car and get under there and have someone wiggle the shifter (make sure its on stands first) you will be able see where the slop is.;)

There are, there is a piece up by the tranny that is kind of like a universal joint. I ground out the pins in it and replaced the wore out plastic bushings with 3/8 rubber hose and bolts, also it wouldnt hurt to get a cheap short throw shifter off ebay. If you jack up the car and get under there and have someone wiggle the shifter (make sure its on stands first) you will be able see where the slop is.;)
Do you mean between #14 and #10?

Here. The red arrows are the bushings that wear out, and the yellow ones are the pins I ground out and replaced with the bolts. Maybe Ill do a write-up on how to do it.
Bitchpin.jpg

If you have spare linkages; just see if you have one with less play and swap it out. That's what I did. :) Even then, I'm still going to get a new one since it's like $35.

Yeah my shifter even when the car is in gear, the shifter wiggles like its in neutral..i'm used to it, but no one understands how I can drive the car the way it is.. Replaced the shifter bushings and its still doing it. May try what was suggested above next.

#29 is where it's @!

#29 is just a pin; if that's lose then there's something very wrong.

Yeah my shifter even when the car is in gear, the shifter wiggles like its in neutral..i'm used to it, but no one understands how I can drive the car the way it is.. Replaced the shifter bushings and its still doing it. May try what was suggested above next.

If you've ever taken a look at the universal joint; you could see how it would cause slop. I compared my linkages that I have (two from 88 CRX DX and one from 88 Civic Std) and one of the DX and the Std one had a lot of play compared to the other 88 DX one.

If you've ever taken a look at the universal joint; you could see how it would cause slop. I compared my linkages that I have (two from 88 CRX DX and one from 88 Civic Std) and one of the DX and the Std one had a lot of play compared to the other 88 DX one.

I've looked around under there and couldn't figure out what was making all of the slop in the shifter, but I'm guessing the part mentioned is what the problem is.... I don't think I ever modified my shift linkage when I did the swap for the car....I guess that could be affecting it as well.

:Dyou guys think your shifter bein sloppy is bad..my linkage is fucked..5th gear looks like neutral,1st gear damn near touches the center thing around the radio

Mine has always been sloppy looking, shifting was never a problem. It is sometimes hard to tell what gear its in if you werent driving it. Most people take a few mins to learn where it all is. Thing is it didnt change even after Honda put in a new bushing and locking screw so it couldnt come undone.

Also the reason they had to put a new bushing on was cause the idiot who installed my cat (also honda) didnt reattach the linkage right, honda claimed they didnt do it. My linkage dropped on my street thank god, i made it home just as i lost all gears but one. They obviously did the labour for free but they shouldnt have changed for parts, bastards.

Mine is pretty much there.

Back