"Sloppy" shifter in EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's ignored because it is VERY rare for the spring pin to actually be loose(I've yet to hear or see one being bad). Most people have a hard time getting it out.

Sloppy shifters in our Honda's are usually attributed to the bushings or the joint itself. If anything, it's usually the joint that gets ignored/overlooked because it's not really replaceable unless you buy a whole new rod.

the shifter in my ef actually rattles a bit when drivin..kinda annoying and yea it moves like its in neautral also. ive learned to live with it

the shifter in my ef actually rattles a bit when drivin..kinda annoying and yea it moves like its in neautral also. ive learned to live with it

Mine does that too. It's kinda annoying when it rattles.

It'll move when in gear, side to side. I'm convinced that it's in the transmission, because all of the joints look and feel good, and I can hear it coming from inside the bell housing. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.

I think everyone has some kind of play in their assembly, my friends 02 Z24 Cavalier has a good amount of play, but then again i wasnt used to non-short shift so it was weird anyway. Before my linkage dropped i knew something was off, and it just got worse before i knew it was gonna fall. Mine seems comfy enough. I think we should all make a short vid of our "sloppy" knobs lol.

u have to replace the bushing on the actual shifter itself where it goes onto the linkage's. i got them at the hardware store. i also bought the energy suspension bushings, they didnt tighten it down at all. but now that i have a new shifter and everything's the way it should u can tell a difference.

All those symptoms you are describing sound so familiar yet i mentioned what it could be, it gets ignored. That pin actually mates the shifter link to the trans if there is something else other than the pin you have play, i.e. shifter moves around freely while in gear ( [ ] ) < example. The pin should be snug with the trans/linkage like so
(( )). Of course looking at it from an ariel perspective.

Just make sure you let us know what was wrong.
I'd think that pin wouldn't be the problem. I looked at my linkage and almost every joint is loose, so I'll look at aout wreckers for tight linkages.

Where can i pick up some of these bushings? mine is real sloppy to but i have gotten used to this but i know i shouldn't have.

Back