Slow Draining Battery

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IronRanger

I either have a bad battery or an electrical drain. If it's an electrical drain I can't repair, I'll isolate it.

I want to wire a switch in so that I can turn the power off from the battery. I would appreciate some suggestions.

I'm thinking about buying this: http://www.batterybrain.com/batterybrain.

But there's got to be a cheaper way I can mount a switch in the car (someplace convenient but out-of-the-way so I don't accidentally isolate the battery from the alternator while driving).

Any ideas? I'd imagine it'd have to be a heavy-duty switch and fuse combo since it'd be right off the battery. If I can find the circuit, I'm hoping I can isolate just that circuit.

Right now, the car's parked for winter. Yes, I know it might just be a bad battery, but I want to plan ahead for the worst.

Thanks.

As a last case scenario, I'd like a switch inside the car that can disconnect the battery from everything. A toggle or push-button switch would be nice.

I'm hoping I can isolate the circuit (or replace a faulty wire) by wiring a switch through the car's fuse box. If I have to, I'll isolate the battery from the entire electrical system.

Hope that clears it up.

Have you got a continuity check on the whole car? I believe auto-zone and advance auto does it for free. If there's no leaks, it's probably a bad battery.

If you use a battery relay(really just a big relay that can handle the current), as stated before, then using a switch inside the car isn't a problem at all.

Have you got a continuity check on the whole car?

No. The car's parked for winter. I'm planning ahead so I can fix it this Spring.

Thanks for the tip about the free continuity test. I figured I'd have to put my multimeter to use.

Back