1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Draining Battery

Discussion in 'Accord' started by IronRanger, Nov 2, 2010.

1. IronRanger

IronRanger New Member

I either have a bad battery or an electrical drain. If it's an electrical drain I can't repair, I'll isolate it.

I want to wire a switch in so that I can turn the power off from the battery. I would appreciate some suggestions.

I'm thinking about buying this: http://www.batterybrain.com/batterybrain.

But there's got to be a cheaper way I can mount a switch in the car (someplace convenient but out-of-the-way so I don't accidentally isolate the battery from the alternator while driving).

Any ideas? I'd imagine it'd have to be a heavy-duty switch and fuse combo since it'd be right off the battery. If I can find the circuit, I'm hoping I can isolate just that circuit.

Right now, the car's parked for winter. Yes, I know it might just be a bad battery, but I want to plan ahead for the worst.

Thanks.

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

A switch for the whole battery? WIRTHCO 20314 Battery Disc Switch 2 Keys and Cover

Also, some race cars have a switch with a long push/pull lever that may work for you. Another route is a auxillary battery relay may work and allow you to run a simple toggle switch inside the cab vs routing large wires to the switch.

3. IronRanger

IronRanger New Member

As a last case scenario, I'd like a switch inside the car that can disconnect the battery from everything. A toggle or push-button switch would be nice.

I'm hoping I can isolate the circuit (or replace a faulty wire) by wiring a switch through the car's fuse box. If I have to, I'll isolate the battery from the entire electrical system.

Hope that clears it up.

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Have you got a continuity check on the whole car? I believe auto-zone and advance auto does it for free. If there's no leaks, it's probably a bad battery.

If you use a battery relay(really just a big relay that can handle the current), as stated before, then using a switch inside the car isn't a problem at all.

5. IronRanger

IronRanger New Member

No. The car's parked for winter. I'm planning ahead so I can fix it this Spring.

Thanks for the tip about the free continuity test. I figured I'd have to put my multimeter to use.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted