**Small Claims Court**

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cashizslick

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
I had my car stolen in late july of this year. For those of you farmiliar with hartford CT, the car was stolen from the Gold Building Parking garage (aka one financial plaza).

This garage had cameras and a security system, and somehow, nobody knows how my car was stolen.

They seemed pretty confident about telling me there was nothing i could do to try and recoupe my losses legally. Well, 3 days ago i got a notice in the mail that the Small Claims Trial i requested will be held on October 21st.

So today i get a call from the insurance company of the parking garage. . . . they want to settle the case outside of the courtroom.

I want to meet with them to see what they are offering me for $$$.

I bet they will have to pay laywer fees and what not if they go to court with me. what should i do to get the most out of this for my self/skrew them in the process?

I have never gone to court as a plaintiff before and i have no legal experience on the prosecution side of things. Any advice is welcome.

see what they offer you first...if you dont like it...tell em youll think about it, tell us, and we'll tell you if its worth going to court.

they will make a lowball offer.
counter it with a high ball offer.
meet somewhere in the middle.

know what you're worth, and don't go below it.

keep in mind, legally, they don't have to give you shit if there was even 1 sign or notice about "not responsible for stolen property"

they might offer you 500 bucks...
if they do just shake your head and get up. most likely, they will get all nervous and talk you in to sticking around. its in their best interest to settle.

DONT SIGN ANYTHING until you're 100% done.

If you're not 100% sure about what you are signing, DONT SIGN IT. tell them you want to have your lawyer look it over first.

I agree with pissedoffsol. I've been through some situations like this a few times before. Don't agree to anything they offer without at least 24 hours to think it over or "show it to your attorney" whatever you want to tell them. If they say "Take it now or forget it" then say "Okay, forget it. See you in court." It'll cost them a lot more in legal fees than it's worth.

By the way, what kinda car was it and what did it have in it?

Quoted post[/post]]
they will make a lowball offer.
counter it with a high ball offer.
meet somewhere in the middle.

know what you're worth, and don't go below it.

keep in mind, legally, they don't have to give you #### if there was even 1 sign or notice about "not responsible for stolen property"

they might offer you 500 bucks...
if they do just shake your head and get up. most likely, they will get all nervous and talk you in to sticking around. its in their best interest to settle.

DONT SIGN ANYTHING until you're 100% done.

If you're not 100% sure about what you are signing, DONT SIGN IT. tell them you want to have your lawyer look it over first.

:werd:

You should of asked this before you filed for it lol. Bring in a scale drawing of the layout with cameras, their field of vision and all that. take pictures of the cameras, where you car was parked, pictures of the only exit/entrance. all that stuff. Cant be too prepared. prepare like a mofo.

Hey guys, thanks for the adivce.

Preparation will help a lot if i do end up going to court for this.

BTW confus: I had a thread on my car gettins stolen but i dont have time to search for it now.

94 civic coupe, b16a, i/e. springs, wheels, etc

Listen, its already been said but this company is going to do whatever it takes to settle out of court.

As Brian said, they're going to shoot you a lowball offer and you NEED to counter with a high offer. Meet in the middle, i.e., what the car is actually worth.

If the company was not scared and felt that they were 100% correct, then they would not even be trying to settle this case.

Fact of the matter is, the company knows that if this case is heard before a court and they lose, they'll have to pay kelly blue book value for the car, in addition to any modifications that you have proof of in the form of a receipt, plus the legal fees they incurred. It doesn't take a star prosecutor to understand that settling out of court will be the most cost effective route for the company. The company is simply cutting its losses and trying to settle.

I believe that taking picture is not allowed at that garage...if it is UTC property, then no cameras allowed...

Quoted post[/post]]
I believe that taking picture is not allowed at that garage...if it is UTC property, then no cameras allowed...

Yeah you are right. The security people would throw you outta there in a second if they say you snapin pics . . . not a bad idea though.

I guess ill do as everyone has suggested. . . meet em halfway.

Does it matter that i am already taking insurance money for the car? Will that effect the ammount i could be awarded in court?

yes, your INS company will show it was paid for. With that, I don't think you can legally sue them for the loss of the car. You can sue them for negligence or something like that.

Quoted post[/post]]
yes, your INS company will show it was paid for. With that, I don't think you can legally sue them for the loss of the car. You can sue them for negligence or something like that.

He can sue for the deductable he would have payed-
loss in wages for work-
charges for a rental in the period before insurance settled-
negligence -
:ph34r:

I agree with all..

add emotional distress to the list.. lol

and add in that you will go public with the claim and let the local news stations, and radio stations know about the situation and thus their business will have a bad name in the city.. \

and about the cameras, take em secretly.. somehow..

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

He can sue for the deductable he would have payed-
loss in wages for work-
charges for a rental in the period before insurance settled-
negligence -
:ph34r:
DAMN B2...... all that stuff, shit come up with some more and he can prolly get a freakin turbo..

Back