SMOG certificates, registration and titles oh my!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

utn

I found a buyer for my B16A CRX but now I think I'm really screwed on all of the paper work. Someone told me that all you 'need' to sell is the pink slip/title to get rid of it. But I hear the law says that you need to have it smogged up and all, but the problem is, my check engine light is on and i DONT want to pay to have it fixed, the guy wants to buy it as is, and according to the ref i cant have any engine problems/lights on to get it smogged.

Also, the original owner of the car had it smogged right before he did the swap, so I have papers for the D15 engine, but not the B16 (back in April it was smogged with the OEM engine) And not knowing anything when I bought the car I didnt ask about SMOG stuff, and now that I know a bit more my magnaflow exhaust has NO cat. But he did give me the OEM ehaust and cat too. But my engine runs rich because of a possibly faulty fuel pressure sensor (too high of a pressure). Can anyone give me some advise? I'm going to talk to AAA tomorrow and try to get some more info on it.

I would greately appreciate all and any help,
Thanks,
Scott

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Write out a Bill of Sale and clearly styate that the buyer is buying it AS IS. it should be to the effect of:

I _________ am selling one 19xx Honda CRX to ________ for the amount of $x,xxx dollars. This sale is as is, no smog, no warranty expressed or implied.

something like that. make sure you both sign it and print your names. doesnt matter what it is written on, could be on a napkin or whatever.

you could also write out a bill of sale stating that it is "for parts only"...even if the car runs and everything

Yeah that method above sounds the best, but if he is not willing to do it that way, just so you know a b16 in a crx will pass the tail pipe test running properly with smog equipment.

Back