Smog for CRX swap???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

I want to swap something into my 89 CRX. i was first thinking about a ZC but i would rather just save up and go with an H22 or B18 type R or something like that with more horsepower to start out with. My problem is that I don't know anyone to hook me up with a smog. I was told by a smog tech that you can get a swap legally if the smog ref checks it out, but then another guy i talked to said that i couldn't. i live in San Diego,CA so i was also thinking of registering my car in Yuma,AZ because my friend has family there and i could say i live there.

Basically i dont want to even think about the swap unless i can somehow register my car. any help would be appreciated.

Also, i know a guy that said he could do the H22 swap for $1000 labor, plus parts. Is this a good price for the swap? if not what are good prices for labor. Know any shops in San Diego that do swaps????

if you want to smog your car I suggest you go OBD1 or OBD2 for the Type R because they are OBD2 in the USA.

Or get a JDM Type R and say its same motor as the 94-95 GSR B18c which is OBD1.

Also after you do the swap to pass REF you need to make sure you car is running clean make sure all the GSR emissions stuff that are from 94-95 GSR has you have and are correctly setup and working. Also You will need to get a USA GSR ECU. I don't know about the type R header I don't think you can use that but I am not sure on that.

Also the ZC won't pass so don't even waste your time on it. Or go LS OBD1 94-95LS then BOOST :worthy: much easyier. :D

Someone on here knows someone who just ref'd (and passed) a ZC in california. It can be done.

Hey i live in Lincoln,Ca...i have a b18a in my crx and i havent taken it to the ref yet but i am....IT IS LEGAL!!! first things first...the engine must be the same year or newer then ur car....unless u want alot of work to do then dont get an odb1 especially obd-2...get a 90-91 integra motor or u can use a jdm engine in cali but u have to have a usdm ecu and intake system(not cool air!!! i mean intake manifold system) if u get an odb1 engine its not too hard to make obd0 u just get the distrib injectors and ecu from a obd0 car (i believe thats all i think theres one more) but an obd2 OBD2!!!come on guys then u have to go as far as taking the fuel pump out of the obd2 cars gas tank!!! pain the the ass with all the crap u have to do no way dont do it kid....anyway...he said all smog applications must be hooked...vaccum lines must be in the right spot... they will check ur wiring which u have to make look like it came from factory...which means when u connect wires u solder them together, shrink tube it wrap them in electrical tape and buy new plastic wire covers and they will have no idea....but yea i have talked to them and if the swap is done right it will pass and they will give u a BAR sticker that goes in ur door...he said a good tip is to make the engine look CLEAN and wriring and vaccum lines look excellent cause it makes it look like u took ur time to make it right....like buy some clored wire wrap and elec. tape and vaccum hosses... clean that engine bay and engine block before u put it in....and scoot ur ass down to the smog ref!!! and hey vtec is over rated remember that....but it is kinda cool :) hey if i were u i would just do the same swap i did...i only have exhaust on my b18 non vtech and i beat 3 integra gsrs last nihgt....i didnt know they were gsr untill i shifted then they were still winding up i was like DUDE IM SMOKIN A GSR!!! ye ait was cool...

Also What about an H22. Same thing with the ref or will it not pass?

Well im sure the h22 can pass too just fine...vtec is a little more difficult because theres like 3 wires u have to add but if u take it to a shop and let them do it then sure...also the h22 is great and all but if u plan on doing some turning like road racing messing around on whindy roads then the h22 isnt the motor its too heavy and u get understeer and keep goin straight when u want to turn.... but yea see i have a 91 crx si i put a 1990 b18a non vtech...member how i said it has to be the same year or newer? well they gave me the wrong motors but there is no way they will be able to tell if its a 90 or 91 because i talked to a guy and he said it will give them a base model like its a 90-91 integra rs/ls motor...but hey i did the whole swap myself its not hard at all...looks hard but id just do the same thing i did just buy a 90-91 b18a1 engine with the tranny ecu and axles...i got it all for 1400 but i know a guy at the local shop so prolly around 1700 u can get a good one...call around at some salvage yards and ask for integra swaps then ask will u know the miles that comes on the motor if they dont i wouldnt do it...if yes then go for it....good luck....

just out of curiosity, what else do you have on your motor? you say it beat GSRs with no vtec. im not saying i don't believe you, i just thought those GSRswere a lot faster. how much hp does your B18 have stock? when a GSR started fucking with me yesterday, i took droppped a gear and punched it and i didn't even catch up to him.feels like shit when your car sounds good but it's not that fast.

I dont know if it helps, but my friend who has a jdm b16a in his 90 hf crx couldn't pass Colorado smog, I think his CO2 lvls were too high or something, anyways the way he passed was he got online and bought a fuel pressure regulator and gauge and before he took his car in, he cranked it down to 19psi. He took it in, passed smog, left and cranked that bad boy back up to 35psi! Hope this helps someone. :thumbsup:

I got a 1988 CRX with the B18a Non-vtec motor (91) and my motor pulls hard. I only got an exhaust and intake on mine. I have raced a GSR one time and beat him, but not by much. Im over in Riverside, Cali and next month i gotta go get my crx smogged, so i hope everything goes well... LoL

Back