SMOG HELP - See Print out from ref

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LSCRX

So went to get my CRX BAR'd and i failed, thought it was the cat. Got a new cat, and still failed. I dont really know the history of the motor, as it was purchased from the police impound. Could it just be way behind in normal maintenance? It seems to be running rich from what i have been told. I just did the spark plugs and a air filter a few days ago, and it seems to be running a bit better. Any suggestions based on the info provided.

Thanks in advance:D

P1000027.jpg

in for the read, i'll have to get mine past inspection somewhat soon and nfi what any of that means. :popcorn:

I played with my timing to get my car to pass...After I changed my O2 and did a tune up...

Thanks for the tips fellas. Yeah i plan on getting a tune up and replacing the o2 sensor and giving it another shot.

Just to make sure i am right, o2 sensors are engine specific correct? So i would get one for my year b18.:huh:

not really... its just the plug that's different. a generic bosch 4-wire from auto zone will work if you swap the plug from your current onto it. but you need a 4-wire (heated) o2. the 1- 2- and 5-wire won't work

what those categories mean are as follows....

HC are hydrocarbons, these are unburnt fuel, usually the result of partial ignition or misfires. measured in parts per million.

CO is carbon monoxide, which is the result of partially burnt fuel. your air/fuel ratio affects this the most, richer mixtures produce more CO. CO is highly poisonous, this is sometimes referred to as the "silent killer" because it is odorless, colorless and without a CO-Detector is undetectable.

NO(x) are nitrides of oxygen. these are NOT nitrous oxide, like magazines often call them. these are 1 molecule of nitrogen, with a random number of oxygen molecules attached. these result from too much heat from combustion, which is what happens when you run a to lean A/F ratio. These are non-toxic alone, but contribute to the "green house effect" in that when mixed with sunlight (or more specifically vitamin D) they turn into smog.

now on to your problems.... if you hadn't replaced the cat, i'd recommend looking into that, but long story short, blanco is likely right.

Thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:
i'm having trouble deciding if that is pure sarcasm or if the thumbs up is legitimate :confused:
however i once worked at an emissions referee in the state of arizona, so i thought i'd offer up some causes of a failure. if just one person takes a look at his printout and says to himself, "hey, brokenrex said that meant i was running rich" then i have fulfilled my purpose ;)

NOX is also the Greek Goddess of .... something... doesnt matter. Lean a/f mixture increases nox significantly. Over time, your catalytic converter will take the beating.

what those categories mean are as follows....

HC are hydrocarbons, these are unburnt fuel, usually the result of partial ignition or misfires. measured in parts per million.

CO is carbon monoxide, which is the result of partially burnt fuel. your air/fuel ratio affects this the most, richer mixtures produce more CO. CO is highly poisonous, this is sometimes referred to as the "silent killer" because it is odorless, colorless and without a CO-Detector is undetectable.

NO(x) are nitrides of oxygen. these are NOT nitrous oxide, like magazines often call them. these are 1 molecule of nitrogen, with a random number of oxygen molecules attached. these result from too much heat from combustion, which is what happens when you run a to lean A/F ratio. These are non-toxic alone, but contribute to the "green house effect" in that when mixed with sunlight (or more specifically vitamin D) they turn into smog.

now on to your problems.... if you hadn't replaced the cat, i'd recommend looking into that, but long story short, blanco is likely right.
while typing this out, i completely forgot to mention that your timing can affect these values also. too far advanced timing will lead to higher NOx counts, while a too far retarded will result in higher CO and HC counts, but not to the extent that my first suggestions would.

Back