Smoke at at revs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Terry_S

Hi all

I've rebuilt a D16Z6 recently, starts first time, runs fine, but its blowing a little of blue smoke when it's warming up then disappear when reaching certain temp. And also clouds of smoke when I hit the Vtec zone.

As I didn't change the valve seals and piston rings, so I'm guessing those were not sealing properly, so I've done the compression check, (where standard should be 185psi, correct me if wrong) which all got around 180 psi, less than 5 psi different between each cylinders. didn't do the leak down test which I think i won't be able to tell me anything if its get such compressions. Checked the spark plugs as well, but they all look OK, showing grey/brown deposit. Checked the dip stick, doesn't look like if its eating oil badly..

Do u think its going be the valve seals or piston rings? or there might be something else?

Any method that I can test to see if its the valve seals or piston rings?

Any method that I can check the compression at high revs?

I'm sort of thinking it's more likely to be the valve seals. asuming oil dripping down to the cylinder over night, then smoke a bit when it starts up, then goes away when all oil has been burnt off. not sealing well at high revs? Agree??

I've done millions of search but there were all about doing compression test & leak down test. hope u guys would be able to help!

thx. in advance! :worthy:

Terry

Just to be safe, you probably shoulda changed the rings and seals when you were in there . . . . . . If the motor runs fine otherwise, thats pry your problem.

I know! but it run very fine, and doesn't seems to loss any power even its smoking at high revs...

really have no idea whats going on now....

same wit mine, only mines a b16 out of a year 2000(which valve guides/seals shouldnt be going bad that soon)

I had a d16a6 and I would have blue smoke during start up and during high rpm times not to mention whenever i'd punch it...IT wouldn't eat oil at all but then out of no where, it'd be a quart low...it would go for a few weeks without loosing anything, then bam, it would be a quart low. Just tore the block apart this last week and I could feel ridges along the cylinder wall...184k loyal miles. Oh welll....it has been replaced by a zc :)

nathan

Back