Smoke In Cabin?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SaMMaE01

Ive been borrowing a friend turbo EF9 for a while, and i also have my own turbo
EF8 in the works, but one thing that worried me was that since he removed his ac line and stuff, he has this hole in his firewall on the passenger side, and when i drive, i can smell and sometimes see smoke coming inside, and what i wanna know is the smoke inside the cabin caused by the hole in the firewall, or is it because he dosent have a dump tube on his wastegate? i was thinking that the dumptube wont help because all it does is dump the exhaust towards the ground but air just kicks it back up into the engine back and back into the hole in the firewall. right? or should i just plug the hole up and quit bitchin?....

Originally posted by hotrex@Sep 18 2005, 02:31 AM
thats from the wastegate. its a common problem
[post=556188]Quoted post[/post]​

yea i know that, but what would stop the smoke from coming into the cabin through the hole in firewall, dumptube.....block hole in firewall... or both?

Originally posted by SaMMaE01+Sep 18 2005, 05:04 PM-->
@Sep 18 2005, 02:31 AM
thats from the wastegate.  its a common problem
[post=556188]Quoted post[/post]​

yea i know that, but what would stop the smoke from coming into the cabin through the hole in firewall, dumptube.....block hole in firewall... or both?
[post=556349]Quoted post[/post]​

just block the hole. find a car that came without AC and it will have a blank rubber plug were that hole is in the non AC car. just get one of those and plug your hole up.

Originally posted by CoreyR@Sep 18 2005, 09:04 PM
just get one of those and plug your hole up.
[post=556403]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm sick, I know. :slap:

But in all seriousness, shouldn't the car NOT be smoking at all? If there is indeed a hole, you can get an OEM plug, or go to a hardware store and get a rubber gromit. However, I think the real problem is that your engine is smoking to the point where you can see it.

Burnt oil smoke? Or rich fuel mixture smoke?

Originally posted by EGProject+Sep 18 2005, 06:31 PM-->
@Sep 18 2005, 09:04 PM
just get one of those and plug your hole up.
[post=556403]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm sick, I know. :slap:

But in all seriousness, shouldn't the car NOT be smoking at all? If there is indeed a hole, you can get an OEM plug, or go to a hardware store and get a rubber gromit. However, I think the real problem is that your engine is smoking to the point where you can see it.

Burnt oil smoke? Or rich fuel mixture smoke?
[post=556418]Quoted post[/post]​

no no no, nothing is wrong with the car,turbo and motor run fine, its release from the wategate.

Allright, sorry bout that, thought there was a problem with the car.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 19 2005, 09:48 AM
go to home depot and get some tile calk. calk up the hole.
[post=556598]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL the hole is way too big to caulk :p

maybe the ef's are different... the hole on the sol was like 1/2" npt thread for the condensor line... just throw some caulk in that... done.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 19 2005, 12:36 PM
maybe the ef's are different... the hole on the sol was like 1/2" npt thread for the condensor line... just throw some caulk in that... done.
[post=556730]Quoted post[/post]​

So i shouldnt even use the dump tube huh? i mean as long as i plug up the hole in the firewall, there would be no way the smoke to come into the car right? so scratch puttin on the dumptube idea just plug the hole huh?

Originally posted by SaMMaE01+Sep 19 2005, 04:02 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Sep 19 2005, 12:36 PM
maybe the ef's are different...  the hole on the sol was like 1/2" npt thread for the condensor line...  just throw some caulk in that...  done.

So i shouldnt even use the dump tube huh? i mean as long as i plug up the hole in the firewall, there would be no way the smoke to come into the car right? so scratch puttin on the dumptube idea just plug the hole huh?
[post=556747]Quoted post[/post]​

having a dumptube that vents under the plane of the car works fine, if you totally want to eliminate the smell, route the dumptube into your downpipe or exhaust.

Originally posted by hotrex+Sep 19 2005, 04:21 PM-->
Originally posted by SaMMaE01@Sep 19 2005, 04:02 PM
pissedoffsol
@Sep 19 2005, 12:36 PM
maybe the ef's are different...  the hole on the sol was like 1/2" npt thread for the condensor line...  just throw some caulk in that...  done.

[post=556747]Quoted post[/post]​

having a dumptube that vents under the plane of the car works fine, if you totally want to eliminate the smell, route the dumptube into your downpipe or exhaust.
[post=556790]Quoted post[/post]​

yea but i already have the kit, with the dumptube,downpipe and everything, and i dont want to do any extra metal work, so looks like my best bet is to just block up the hole in the firewall huh?

i'd HIGHLY suggest running a dump tube... your whole engine bay will be black with soot before you know it...

seems like your a lazy ass. do it right the first time. make a good dumptube

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 20 2005, 05:13 AM
i'd HIGHLY suggest running a dump tube... your whole engine bay will be black with soot before you know it...
[post=557000]Quoted post[/post]​

Not to sound stupid or anything, but what the differnce between a good dumptube, and a bad one? i know u can route the dumptube to ur exhaust or downpipe, but i already have premade exhaust piping, and i already have my downpipe,and i dont want to go through the extra bullshit to get it re routed, and regarding the dumptube how far down should it go down? like below the block?

just get it so that it is below the motor so the wind will carry it out... no need to go crazy... just get it out of the bay

Back