smoke problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GmodKid

i have a 97 ek coupe with an obd2 ls swap which i have stepped down to obd1.so ive noticed for the past week that when i accelerate hard enough my car blows out what seems to be blue-blackish smoke and i can clearly smell gas.ive read up about it possibly being bad valve seals or headgasket or maybe even a bad head. i just want to see what i can do or try to stop the smoke car runs a little stressed like if its bogging at points though.any help would be appreciated.thnks

Blue smoke = burning oil
Black smoke = running rich

Typically burning oil works like this:
If your car burns it under acceleration it is likely the piston rings
If your car burns it under deceleration it is likely something to do with the valves

The only true way to figure this out is to:
1) Figure out if your car is using any oil
2) Do a compression test
3) If your car is not using any oil and compression is good, it is likely that you have an issue with the fuel map or a sensor. This would likely be obvious because of a CEL.

So, figure out if your car is using any oil and report back.

I checked for oil usage and almost none at all but I am smelling gas a lot so I was wondering about what I can do to stop my car from running rich

You have an OBD2 engine converted to OBD1 in an OBD2 car, right?
Do you have any check engine lights?
Which transmission are you using, and what is the MPG like?

Correct I have a cel for an intake air temperature sensor and for iacv or bad ECM.
I have a type r LSD trans and mpg is horrible I want to say something like 10 mpg

Damn. Well you definitely should start by getting those CEL's taken care of. The IAT should be a fairly simple fix. The Civic came with one that was located in the intake tube. I drilled into the intake mani on my b18b1 and put mine there. The IACV could be the 3-2 wire IACV conversion that you need to do or it could be a bad IACV/ECM.
3 to 2 wire conversion diagram here:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98_a-plug.jpg

I've done the two wire conversion but I still have the code and yea I'm just gonna drill into the intake tube most likely today after work

Try pulling the IACV off and cleaning the screen. It might be clogged.

With the running rich portion u need to get an after market fuel pressure regulator with gauge and tone down the fuel and make sure u have an o2 sensor on ur exaust manifold.

Back