Smokin?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ghsbaseball91

In my 93 del sol si..a lot of smoke(burnin oil im guessin from the blackness above my exhaust) is comin from the exhaust..what could this mean?..thanks

white = coolant
black = rich fuel mixture

it's possible your running rich AND burning coolant. the next thing i would do is a compression test.

if the smoke is real white and stays that way, there is coolant getting in the motor somewhere

i have no idea what u mean by runnin rich, and what is a compression and leak down test?

They are tests to determine the condition of your engine. I would recommend you take your car to a shop and have those tests done as there is definitely a problem with your engine, and with your limited knowledge doing the tests yourself would probably not be a good idea.

Usually when you have white smoke coming from the exhaust it is caused by a blown head gasket, warped head, or a cracked head or block. The only way to know for sure is to have those tests performed on your engine.

they're not too difficult. i would expect $10-30 depending on the mechanic. Most local mechs do a diagnosis for 20 bucks around here.

They will basically tell you if anything inside your engine (piston rings, valve seats, head, block) is damaged and where it is damaged. It will most likely explain the cause of the smoke, and determine what you need to do to repair it.

Hey this has been very helpful to me guys, thanks much. Sadly i'm burning oil....it's blueish smoke but only when i first start my car an when i take off from a stop....what could that be??

thanks much. I'll have one of the mechanics figure out if he can fix that tomorrow or sometime this week. =]

It won't be a cheap fix if that's the problem.. start with a compression & leak down test and see what the results are.

Back