So before you call me stupid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

odnet

I know my basic ways around engines, physics, and aero.. but when I get down to it, trannies are all greek to me. Anyone speak greek here?

5 speed MT D16Y8(SOHC,VTEC,127hp) motor

Clutch pedal, feels fine.. new DOT4 fluid
1st gear shift at 7k
2nd gear, feel great, 60mph 7000rpm
*SHIFT*
*CRUNCH*
3rd gear crunches, still strong though, 90+mph 7000rpm
*SHIFT*
4th gear engages smoothly, strong as hell, 120mph.

why does 2nd into 3rd crunch? It happened one icy night while trying to get traction starting off in 2nd gear and spinning the tires and shifting to get traction between 2nd and 3rd and back again.

My guesses: Linkage damaged or loose? Synchro out? I thought if I was losing a synchro it wouldn't handle it's top speed? Also sometimes shifting into 1st takes a couple tries to get the shifter into place and sometimes I crunch when stationary into reverse.. get me some ideas!

if it only "crunches" when you're shifting fast from 2nd to 3rd it's most likely your synchro, my car does that too when i'm shifting fast from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd.

you're not missing a synchro it's just going out, and it'll have nothing to do with your top speed.

i highly doubt it's your shiftlinkage, it's just a metal bar. If your shiftlinkage was broken you wouldn't be able to shift at all, and if it's bent it'll be just scratching against your exhaust pipe or the carbody, you'll be able to feel it by shifting.

I think it's a common problem with hondas. I've had trouble sometimes putting in 1st or reverse when stationary. Try to be gentle with the transmission, all the powershifting put a lot of stress on the synchros.

you should read up on how a transmission work, more importantly what synchros do.

hope that helped.

He's right. Your synchronizers have NOTHING to do with your top speed. All they do is smooth out the gear change. Hondas like to dump the synchronizer going from 2nd to 3rd, so think of it as a common problem. If you don't want to pull your transmission apart to look and want to just baby it along, change out your transmission fluid. Do it on a regular basis, and only use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid. You can usually reduce the grinding of a dying synchro by making sure the transmission fluid is fresh.

Appreciate the help, greatly! I've read a bit into trannies, and I've also read that most shops want about $300 + part for synchro work... I might just find a new tranny for $500.. it it has low miles, it might save me from spending $600 later.

Back