So I just got a ticket...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

somen00b

Banned
Kinda long cliff notes at the bottom.

Yup, on my way to work this morning I was pulled over by an unmarked car, a few minutes go by and a plain clothes officer comes up and does the usual license and registration routine. He goes back to his car to fill out the ticket and when he returns he hands me back my DL and registration and flashes a FBI badge and says "the reason why I pulled you over is because you were doing 41 and the speed limit on this road is 35." He said a bunch more crap but I wasnt paying attention, I was going to be late to work and on top of that I got a bullshit speeding ticket. But on the rest of the way to work I couldnt help but think, can a federal agent give me a speeding ticket? I know I read somewhere that different bureaus could only enforce certain laws within the U.S code, I'll look it up when I get off work. I just wanted to know if anyone else could clearify this for me... does he have authority to enforce traffic violations?

I'll take it to court if I can, otherwise I'll just bite the bullet and pay the fine. I know I read this stuff somewhere, when I get off work I'll look more into it, Im just hoping anyone else has some insight on this.

:cliffs:

- I got pulled over by a federal officer.(FBI to be precise)
- Got a speeding ticket for doing 41 in a 35.
- Was wondering if a federal officer can enforce traffic violations?

TY in advance for any input.

i'm pretty sure they can do just about whatever the hell they want...

but FBI wasting his time for a 6 over speeding ticket? i would call his supervisor and every politician you can...

unmarked car? plain clothes?
did you get his badge number?

he now has all your major information.

i bet you get ID theft :D

pissedoffsol said:
unmarked car? plain clothes?
did you get his badge number?

he now has all your major information.

i bet you get ID theft :D
He showed his badge and credentials, Im sure he was a legit agent, I got his license plate number though.

are you sure it was an FBI badge and not just a regular cop badge? cops cant give you a ticket from an unmarked car...i know that much...but i have no clue about FBI...it never hurts to take it to court and tell the judge you noticed the guy was in an unmarked car...

and hell...6 over...we get away with 10 over down here in GA...they only pull us over if we are in double digits over for sure and mostly if its >15 over

So far from what I've herd from a friend who is a WA trooper, that you can get pulled over and get a ticket from an unmarked car. He evenwent onto expliain how they set up speed traps using them.

Typically on the plates they have to say XMT in a vertical fashion left of all the letters on the plate to notify the public they're a govn't vehicle. Otherwise I was told everything and anything is fair game to catch traffic miscreants.

wow...maybe it goes by state laws...cuz from what ive gathered here in GA...unmarked cars cant ticket you...o well

97AccorDEx said:
wow...maybe it goes by state laws...cuz from what ive gathered here in GA...unmarked cars cant ticket you...o well

Yeah, thats a bullshit rumor.

You can be put under citizen's arrest for christ sakes. So when you hear bullshit like you can't be ticketed by an unmarked car, its an urban legend.

Its called undercover, if they weren't allowed to ticket or arrest people while they were undercover, then there would be no sense in being undercover.

Even an off-duty officer can right a ticket, and is required to uphold the law.

6mph over was bullshit though.

Fuck calling his boss... call the newspaper and see if you can get someone to talk to you about it... I'm sure the FBI would LOVE an artical being printed about them wasting time playing traffic cop :D

Yeah, thats a bullshit rumor

You can be put under citizen's arrest for christ sakes. So when you hear bullshit like you can't be ticketed by an unmarked car, its an urban legend.​

§ 5.35 Executive Order No. 35:

Ordering that Unmarked Police Vehicles of the State of New York Not Be Used for the Routine Stopping of Motorists in Connection with Traffic Violations.

WHEREAS. motorists have been victimized after being stopped by criminals driving private vehicles falsely impersonating police officers on patrol:
WHEREAS, despite the low incidence of such crimes, the use of unmarked patrol vehicles in traffic stops on the highways and roads of the State may, and not uncommonly does, engender confusion and anxiety in the minds of motorists uncertain whether the vehicles attempting to stop them are in fact authorized police vehicles; and
WHEREAS, protecting the safety of the motoring public using the highways and roads of the State is a fundamental obligation of government, and one that requires in exceptional and necessitous circumstances that unmarked patrol vehicles he used to stop motorists:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE E. PATAKI, Governor ol the State of New York, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Laws of the Stale of New York, do hereby order the Superintendent of the State Police, the Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Conservation and the Commissioner of the Office of General Services to promulgate, modify, adopt or rescind any rules or regulations or policy directives, as the case may he, to ensure: that on or before May I, 1996 unmarked or concealed identity police vehicles of the State of New York are not used for the routine stopping or apprehension of motorists for offenses relating to the Vehicle and Traffic Law and are used to stop or apprehend motorists for such offenses only under exceptional and neeessitous circumstances presenting a suhstantial threat to public safety.
Signed: George E. Pataki
Dated: April 17, 1996

I still managed to get pulled over by a NY state trooper detective, but i guess doing 80 in a 55 = exceptional and neeessitous circumstances presenting a suhstantial threat to public safety

how the hell do i get rid of this centering... wtf

I know you can get pulled over by an unmarked here. but you can't get a ticket from a plain clothes officer. FBI doesn't even handle traffic I thought. I would call an attorney. normally they will give you a free consultation and only make you pay if you appear in court.

pissedoffsol said:
was it a .gov /offical plate?
Thanks everyone for your input. I have an onboard dashcam, so I got his license plate number, vehicle make, color and everything. It had U.S Government written across the top of the license plate. I also spoke to a couple of people, and they told me that the agent probably didnt even have a radar gun in his car, so I'll get an attorney and take it to court and see if I can bring some embarassment to the government bureau. :lol:

Edit: I'll also see if I can get the video hosted and you guys can take a look.

Last edited:
97AccorDEx said:
are you sure it was an FBI badge and not just a regular cop badge? cops cant give you a ticket from an unmarked car...i know that much...but i have no clue about FBI...it never hurts to take it to court and tell the judge you noticed the guy was in an unmarked car...

and hell...6 over...we get away with 10 over down here in GA...they only pull us over if we are in double digits over for sure and mostly if its >15 over
Yah Im sure it was a federal agent and not a local/county/state cop, it had FBI written across the top of his credential SIDA badge. What he actually did was flash his shield, and then showed me his badge.

SIDA badge looked like this http://tinyurl.com/k4med he had it clip to his shirt pocket, and had his shield around his neck.

umm... i've never seen an unmarked car pull someone over unless it was the drug/gang unit getting someone..

you have a dash mounted camera? wtf? My dad is a cop here in Cali, and said that he is not allowed to make traffic stops in an unmarked car. But all it has to have to be considered marked is a seal on the side of the car and lettering saying what department it is from.

When you go to court, tell the judge that you were going as fast as the rest of the traffic was. Its not unreasonable for traffic to go 5 - 6 mph over the speed limit on a thursday morning during rush hour.

MikeBergy said:
you have a dash mounted camera? wtf? My dad is a cop here in Cali, and said that he is not allowed to make traffic stops in an unmarked car. But all it has to have to be considered marked is a seal on the side of the car and lettering saying what department it is from.

werd... i didnt think they were allowed to.. here in CA that is

Back