So I wasted an RX-8 tonight...

?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
I was heading to meet the guy who ended up not showing up to buy my taillights... <_<

So I was waiting at a light to turn left onto the freeway feeder, and this RX-8 keeps revving his engine behind me. I guess he thought I was just another Civic with a big pipe. I revved back. Once.

The light turned green, and I slowly pulled away and onto the feeder. He was a few car lengths behind me. I'm guessing that I was rolling at about 30mph in second gear. I was in the middle lane.

I didn't think he was going to do anything, but all of a sudden I hear him wind up and try to blow by me in the left lane. It looked like he was doing about 50mph when he got up next to me. Sure, he had a 20mph advantage from a roll, but that's no big deal.

I floored it, and he didn't get more than a fender length ahead of me. They look pretty nice from the side... I never saw the taillights. Oh well. 8000rpm came up in a flash, and I shifted into third. By this time our front bumpers were dead even. You could really hear that rotary whining! It sounds really smooth, but damn- it still makes a hell of a racket!

8000rpm came up pretty fast again, and I shifted into fourth. We're doing about 90mph now, and he's about 2 car lengths behind me. I got on the freeway, he didn't... even though he was aimed that way to begin with. I guess he was too embarassed- didn't expect to be wasted by a four door after being an asswipe at the stoplight.

I guess it wasn't a fair race... I'm lighter, have pretty much the same gearing, and have more torque on the ground than he had to the crank. Oh well.

:lol:

:cliffs:

RX-8 was being arrogant at stoplight
Tried to pull a fly-by on the feeder road
He got torn a new ass hole

:woo:

Wrong section bish... oh wait B closed that. :ph34r: of :calban: :lol:

and YES RX8s are overrated and underpowered. Mazda really fucked up on that one.

Nah, it's not a straight line car- it's more of a track and twisty road car. I still think it's a pretty sweet machine... gotta test drive one as soon as I can!

if i remember right, it didn't do too well on the skippad either because of all the bullshit electronics Mazda threw on it.

Hell you can't even dyno the car because the engine will go in limp mode without the airflow over the catalytic converter. Thats partially waht started the whole "hey it's not making the claimed hp" deal. Like I said, Mazda really fucked up on that one.

Nah, I still think they did a good job. Just because they've got new technology in there doesn't mean they screwed up. There's nothing wrong with failsafes- they just make the car harder to measure under fake conditions. Everything I've heard about them from people I know who have driven them is extremely positive.

I didn't look.. it took so little time that I didn't get a chance to look over. I didn't really care to stuff it in his face- the car alone did that already. It was really dark anyway.

Kick ass job Mike, too bad I wasn't with you I would have loved to see it. I have to agree with Mike also, the RX-8 is a great car, it definetly isn't a drag car, but from what I have heard it handles like a champ, I believe it beat out a '03 Cobra on a roadcourse in a Car and Driver issue, I may be mistaken, but I heard it handles like a dream.

:werd:

It's still a hell of a car- I'm not knocking the car. I'm just knocking the unsuspecting driver who would normally have beaten pretty much any normal Civic around Austin with a drop, wheels and exhaust- he just bit off more than he can chew this time around.

I just saw one today cruising down the street, pretty nice looking, but something doesn't seem right with them, the rear is too fat.

mike racing? holy crap for crap.

did the same to a wrx today (not sti) sitting at the stop light this fat bitch in a wrx pulled up.. looked at me and shook her head.. the proceeded to lick on the top of a yogurt lid (i swear she did).

"this fat bitch did not just shake her head at me"

first gear bout 3k i heard her spool up and proceeded to leave her in her own yogurt came up next to me..

"pretty fast"

"not all civic's are low and slow dear just because you bought a car with a turbo stock doesn't mean your fast

"whats in that thing" lol and this the crowning peake of my some times outta control extreme wit... "A guy that doesn't weight 350 pounds!"

"whats in that thing" lol and this the crowning peake of my some times outta control extreme wit... "A guy that doesn't weight 350 pounds!"

LMMFAO!!!!

Originally posted by mdlax1@Jun 18 2004, 09:59 AM
mike racing? holy crap for crap.

did the same to a wrx today (not sti) sitting at the stop light this fat bitch in a wrx pulled up.. looked at me and shook her head.. the proceeded to lick on the top of a yogurt lid (i swear she did).

Me racing? It happens every now and then, especially when the other guy is being an arrogant asswipe like that.

C'mon... STIs aren't all that fast. :lol: :lol: :lol:

0-80, me ahead by one car length, and that's against one that has an extra 20lbft of torque too.

B)

I watched an RX-8 make several passes at the dragstrip. I became VERY convinced that the car wasn't even remotely intended for the strip. Pretty sad, really.

Yeah- it's not a drag car. Oh well. I still need to test drive one.

Back