So i went autocrossing today...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BlackFrog

Neighborhood Lush
VIP
well, sort of. i just decided to watch this time instead of drive. header over to Naugy this morning, got there at about 930 and was a bit dissapointed to find no onw driving yet. website said 900!!! oh well, it was actually a good learning experience for when i go to drive...got to watch em set up the course, everyone go through tech insp, walk the course etc.

Lots of nice cars, turbo miata, older and newer rx7's with turbos (older with a serious BOV), and a badass 240 with mean turbo. Lots 'o subarus, one STi, some Porsches, RSX's, one mini van (EP) etc etc etc...

HI: It was cold
LOW: Then it got windy

HI: Chucking at people that hit the horn while driving
LOW: Realizing I do that while normal driving

HI: The hot chick that walked by and smiles at me :D
LOW: Her boyfriend 10 feet behind :unsure:

HI: Spinouts and people dragging cones along with them
LOW: Wondering how many cones will be wedged under my car...

I was definitely impressed, and wished i had driven instead of watch. Though atleast i know what to expect next time.

One question i have, the course was incredibly confusing. To make matters worse, everyone did not follow the same course. Some people went one way, others went another. It seemed like there was about 3 different ways that people went. Is this because it doesnt matter how you go as long as you go through all the cones? Whats up with all this? Later guys, hope to see ya at the next one.

-Chris

yeah, thats what i thought. in that case, there sure were alot of off course people, makes me wish i had driven even more. Oh well, there is one more before winter.

do they still run if it rains?

-Chris

Originally posted by BlackFrog@Oct 7 2003, 04:47 PM
do they still run if it rains?

Usually, but it depends. If it's raining cats and dogs before everything is set up, and the forecast says it's going to be that way all day, then I've seen events cancelled. Or if there are thunderstorms rolling through, they'll pull everyone off the lot so they don't get zapped.

But I suspect different clubs tend to do their own thing w/respect to running or not in the rain. The best thing to do is show up, especially if you don't mind getting wet. The worst thing that can happen is you got up early and went for a drive for no reason.

So, my advice to you is to stop thinking about this stuff and just do it! B) You'll figure it all our very quickly. :) And by watching this past weekend, you're half way there.

$20, a license, 18 years of age, and a helmet. That's all you need (besides a car, of course). And don't spend a lot of money on car mods the first year or two. Your biggest gains will come from improving your driving ability. And regardless of how good you are - or think you are - you/me/everybody can always be faster. That's the challenge.

Good luck!

Was the hot chick a driver too ? The blonde or the brunette ?

My priorities are down the drain, man. I'm lusting after this one girl there - You can have her friend :) Both are single, don't let the group of men fool you.

-> Steve

That's right.. the lesson I learned..

"And regardless of how good you are - or think you are - Chip can always be faster"

Scary thing is....I went from a slow driver to a fast driver in one year.....I learned how to get that rex to move, how to set it up, and from my first time racing this autocross stuff, to now.....I have learned alot. Chip gave me a pointer...and that shaved off two seconds.....I got just 2 more seconds to shave and then I am on his FTD tail....considering the last event we attended...Chip was at 39.659 and that was FTD....I got a 44.595 which would have been a 42.595 if I didn't pummel that last cone.....so a 3 second gap....ohhhhhhh sooo close.....

But Bill got a 40.726 so he is closer to getting FTD than I am....and that is still scary...Honda's are making a comeback.

But my first AutoCross up at bristol...I was still 5 seconds behind Chip...hehe....Watch out....Next year is going to ROCK.....

SO uhhmmmm.....Are we going to have a BBQ or something at the end of the next Bristol AutoX? Sun. Oct. 26

nah, she wasnt a driver, hust some chick walking her dog...i only saw one chick in the pits, but dont think she was driving. youll have to point these ladies out to me sometime Celerity.

and who is chip? is he the guy in old brown rx7? that guys seemed to know how to drive.

So when is the next one at naugy and who is going?

-Chris

It looks like there will be one on the 12th....So I guess I am in....but the tiny turbo-lag might hurt me on that small course...but What the Hell....it's all for fun anyway's...

Chip is the driver of a Green Stock Integra.........and he knows how to drive....but he runs at Bristol only....

thats sad. the last event the rage was only 5 seconds behind the FTD, and that was with only ONE run that wasnt O/C. you should all be slapping yourselves!!! the STOCK mirage lol....

Originally posted by Airjockie@Oct 9 2003, 01:13 AM
remind me next time not to do any performance mods to your RAGE.......hehe...

Good thought... and I'll remind you too. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Airjockie@Oct 8 2003, 04:38 PM
SO uhhmmmm.....Are we going to have a BBQ or something at the end of the next Bristol AutoX? Sun. Oct. 26

I may not be able to make the Oct. 26th autoX at Bristol. So no bbq for me. If I do go, I'll only have time to make one run - maybe two - before I have to leave.

Maybe I can be the rabbit. I'll do one run and you guys can try to catch me. :p ...I know Bill won't have a problem. B)

Back