so i went to bmw today...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

why not look into the 335xi at that price level. Still quick, agillent and better gas mileage, even spec'd out with options it's under $50K

my thoughts - unless your car is older than shit (like mine) and you own it outright, you're basically 'renting' cars when you 'buy' the new ones, because you're pretty much never paying them off - ok it happens rarely that someone will buy a car and stick with it for a few years past the loan, but by then they either have to love it or it's worn out.

that said, if you're not planning on keeping the car you're currently making payments on for a good long while after you're done with the payments, it doesn't really financially matter in the long run if you keep it or move on to another car - i'd trade up every coupla years to keep the warranty and new car feel, because with car payments you should be damn happy with what you're driving (vs people like me who are damn happy they only have to pay upkeep for what we're driving).

and on the money thing - call me whatever, but you're doing a pretty good job of covering your ass from my slacker point of view. it's life, just live it. some people really focus on the retirement picture, and some of those people get run over by buses or shot up at shopping malls. i bet they wish they'd have driven the car they wanted every day. my POV may not make the best financial sense, but it has led me to a pretty kick ass, adventurous life. tell me you've seen 'stranger than fiction' and it'll all be ok.

Last edited:
I dunno man.

Personally I want to bank a million in assets before I'm 30. A car won't make you money.

the new sti is junk. lol

the new evo is pretty cool, but i'd rather have my e46 than it.

Thank you for acknowledging the STi the way it should be.

I bought my new bike because "The amount every month is the same, I've just extended the payment dates". I don't regret it.

I can say that if you want the NEW M, don't try to justify it. Just admit that you want it because you ... well... Want it. Fuck it, if it makes you feel good then rub it until it bleeds.

Don't go thinking that any of your decisions are financially sound. You have yet to make a sound financial decision since purchasing your condo. The "best" decision, and I've always said this, is sharing an apartment or house with good friends and driving a used 91 Civic. Everything beyond that is a degree of "Want".

I personally like the ideas that others are offering here: IF you're going to go big, go big and used. Used Porsches, Lotii, even Ferraris are VERY well maintained (Except that cat at FCSCC autox with the beat to shit 328.. that's odd). You can't fault maintanence costs, because your M and even this new M have ultra-high costs associated. And if you get an aircooled 911 or something, you can maintain that easily.

How about an Elise ? Toyota engines, drop dead reliable.

You have options, more than anything. You have a truck for utility. You haven't given motorbiking a chance, and there is WAY more out there to get excited about.

Word. I'm with cel on this one.

To me its like this. Look down the road. You have a shit ton of disposable income. There is a lot of money to be made with it, and its up to you to put it to good use, or to spend it.

At this moment where you have this much money making ability I'd suggest reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, and it'll teach you about the rat race that you my friend are in. (sorry if you've already read it, but its true).

There are lots of philosophies on "Wants" . But if we didn't succumb to "Want" we would be living in caves and scavenging for food. Have some fun, no car is an investment. But if you can free up ... say ... $30,000 in cash for investments, by the time you're done with a $30,000 car payment the other half will make that money back.

Imagine how nice it would be to take all of your entertainment expenses and realise "My investment makes all of this free". That's a nice feeling.

Again, were I in your shoes I would take all of that money and do something else with it. Like fix up the house or build an addition or something to build equity. Then drive a GEO for gas saving, keep a truck at the side of the house for snow and hauling, and do my ONE thing that brings me joy - bike.

I work to make money, I spend my money on my toys, when I'm not working I enjoy taking my toys out and playing with them.

If I didn't have the toys, I'd have a lot more money, and when not working, I'd sit around wishing I had something bad ass to play with like a motorcycle or new M.

I work to make money, I spend my money on my toys, when I'm not working I enjoy taking my toys out and playing with them.

If I didn't have the toys, I'd have a lot more money, and when not working, I'd sit around wishing I had something bad ass to play with like a motorcycle or new M.

Here's a thought - get out of the house and go on a vacation....

I don't think B has even been on a plane to go on vacation...

since I've known B, he's never mentioned a vacation.....

I at least hit Japan every year for two weeks....my wife says it's the only time she ever sees me with a smile.

B should use some of his money and come with me for my next trip.... A guided tour in Japan should set him into the mindset that there is a life outside of work.

Word. Come to cali or something.

I'm going to San Diego for a week in Mar. I'm excited.

It's what I tell my friends who are better off than me all the time - if you can afford it, and you like it, do it. Don't listen to everyones opinion, because ultimately it's your money, and your hard work that earned it. $100 a month extra on payments an 50 more months. Fucking do it. You only live once.

some people need a car to make them happy, some need a snowmobile, motorcycle, $1000/week at the strip club. everybody has a pleasure. put your money into what makes you happy.

B, if it will make you happy, sell the truck and put more towards the car. try to put at least 20% down. i say fuck it. but then again, when you want to spend money on other frivolous shit, just remember the car in the driveway that makes you happy.

It would be cool, but is it worth it? How often will you drive this car? Are you getting this car to overcome a shortcoming? I would have to agree with Bob Vila on this. I would try to get some more savings. Markets and technology change, jobs come and go. Try to get some more cash in the bank. You always hear about the stories of people who had high positions in companies, got laid off and lost everything. Do what you want and what makes you happy but thoroughly think it through. Your current car costs you more a month than my mortgage, condo fees, and property tax combined.

I would agree with everyone that says you should wait on getting a new M. It seems foolish to spend such a large amount of money on a new car. Especially when you have 10k in savings.

I'm 17 and I already have 2k in savings, I've only been working 1 year. I only made $6500 last year, but I was able to pay off my $3k Civic, pay for the gas, and pay for the insurance.

If you really want it, why don't you save up for it? That way you don't spend months paying off just the interest. Plunking down 60k at once for a car would seem like a lot more money. 60 months is quite awhile to pay off a car too. By then there will probably be something bigger and better out, that you will want instead, and you will go through the same process again. All the while gaining even more debt. Start budgeting your money and find a way to put as much as you can afford into a savings account every month. It's nice to have that buffer just in case, and in a few years you'll have a nice hefty sum saved up. $10k is really a measly sum for someone that makes enough to spend $1000 a month on a new car, you should have at least 6 months pay in savings.

Personally, I think that living your life in debt (aside from a house payment) seems like it would get old fast. I don't want to owe everything I make to someone forever.

I would agree with everyone that says you should wait on getting a new M. It seems foolish to spend such a large amount of money on a new car. Especially when you have 10k in savings.

I'm 17 and I already have 2k in savings, I've only been working 1 year. I only made $6500 last year, but I was able to pay off my $3k Civic, pay for the gas, and pay for the insurance.

If you really want it, why don't you save up for it? That way you don't spend months paying off just the interest. Plunking down 60k at once for a car would seem like a lot more money. 60 months is quite awhile to pay off a car too. By then there will probably be something bigger and better out, that you will want instead, and you will go through the same process again. All the while gaining even more debt. Start budgeting your money and find a way to put as much as you can afford into a savings account every month. It's nice to have that buffer just in case, and in a few years you'll have a nice hefty sum saved up. $10k is really a measly sum for someone that makes enough to spend $1000 a month on a new car, you should have at least 6 months pay in savings.

Personally, I think that living your life in debt (aside from a house payment) seems like it would get old fast. I don't want to owe everything I make to someone forever.

you're 17? You're pretty level headed for your age :)

You're 17? fucking mad props for you man.

I don't think you even know how true that is, if I was B I'd have at least my main driver 100% paid for then look for a cheap beater.

B, if your having doubt just wait a good while and see if it blows over. You know you dont need it. Your ride is plenty nice as it is. Just hold off acouple months. I go through this everythime i find a good deal. i just turn around,walk away and sleep on it for a week or 2.

I'm with everyone......you need a vacation

Back