so i woke up the morning with a hacking cough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

that's why you gotta turn to straight-jackin!!!!!!!!!!
just do some laps in the sti in the parking lot when you get the need for a smoke. :)

And when you stop hacking, then run some laps. with your legs i mean.

Patches. Patches are a god send. Don't even bother quitting without some sort of aid.

Here is my point:

You'll quit this time, and it won't work. How many other times have you been sick and said "This is my chance to stop!" ? I would say, everytime you've been sick for the past 7 years. What makes you think this will be it ?

Cigarettes have caused an addiction, and that addiction is very difficult for even a smoker to comprehend. It's changed your body chemistry for the worst. The receptors that your cells use to feel satisfied (Be it through an ATP reaction, a cellular division or some sort, or the trigger of peptides) no longer work on their own. Nicotine and the other things in cigs trigger those for you - Your adrenal glands, for instance, are completely mis-wired because of smoking. And your adrenal glands also release peptides to your brain and body after you eat. It tells your body to stop wanting food. When you smoke, after a meal, what you're doing is taking that signal away from your adrenal, and making the nicotine trigger it.

Which is why your stop smoking plan is going to end in 10 minutes.

There are ways out of it - And if you wanna co-ordinate, if we can get Clayton, and everyone else on it, then we may be able to stop. Then I'll have 1 friend left that smokes.

->Steve

thanks for the usual lack of support steve. i knew i could count on you to be a total fucking fuck face

The best advise I can give you:

1. DO keep a pack of ciggarettes around. Throw em in the junk drawer, but do have them. If you have them, thats one thing, but if you DONT have any, it will drive you insane.

2. Quit cold turkey. If you're going to quit, just fucking quit. Quit feeding the monster and it will die.

3. Sleep ALOT. sleep whenever you can, because when you are sleeping, you aren't craving and/or trying to murder people.. I wonder how many people get banned because you are just friggin perma-pissed for the next 3 days?....

4. Three Days. If you can make it three days, you can make it forever. Your physical addiction will be gone. Mental addiction, you may never get over. I quit 3 years ago and still go looking for my cigarettes when I'm seriously pissed or stressed. I never give in, though.

5. The best part! Remember that pack of cigarettes that you kept? When you need a cigarette, think.. Is that pack greater than me? Does it control me? Is my mind so fucking weak that tobacco OWNES me?? No.. You own the pack, and you choose not to smoke, because you are greater than a pack of smokes. Who is stronger?

You'll be just fine.. I kept my pack for about a year and a half before I tossed it. It was just taking up too much real-estate in my junk drawer.

thanks for the usual lack of support steve. i knew i could count on you to be a total fucking fuck face

wow, did you eat lunch yet?

uberpissedoffsol...

I quit using the patch. Its like 25$ at cvs.. its a constant feeling that you get after you just had a cigarette. Point is you need to get rid of the habit of smoking, doing certain activities that you are accustomed to smoke while doing, you need to break those habits, then deal with the physical addiction.

using the patch and nic gum is worthless.

instead of smoking, you're now addicted to the path and/or the gum.... which is just as hard, if not harder, to get off of because its pure nicoteen

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 13 2005, 11:41 AM
The best advise I can give you:

1. DO keep a pack of ciggarettes around. Throw em in the junk drawer, but do have them. If you have them, thats one thing, but if you DONT have any, it will drive you insane.

2. Quit cold turkey. If you're going to quit, just fucking quit. Quit feeding the monster and it will die.

3. Sleep ALOT. sleep whenever you can, because when you are sleeping, you aren't craving and/or trying to murder people.. I wonder how many people get banned because you are just friggin perma-pissed for the next 3 days?....

4. Three Days. If you can make it three days, you can make it forever. Your physical addiction will be gone. Mental addiction, you may never get over. I quit 3 years ago and still go looking for my cigarettes when I'm seriously pissed or stressed. I never give in, though.

5. The best part! Remember that pack of cigarettes that you kept? When you need a cigarette, think.. Is that pack greater than me? Does it control me? Is my mind so fucking weak that tobacco OWNES me?? No.. You own the pack, and you choose not to smoke, because you are greater than a pack of smokes. Who is stronger?

You'll be just fine.. I kept my pack for about a year and a half before I tossed it. It was just taking up too much real-estate in my junk drawer.
[post=553699]Quoted post[/post]​

Forgot to add, I got a gihugic bag of apple jolley ranchers and ate those all the damned time.. You aren't supposed to do that, because its supposed to cause a "replacement" addiction.. But it works well.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 13 2005, 12:04 PM
using the patch and nic gum is worthless.

instead of smoking, you're now addicted to the path and/or the gum.... which is just as hard, if not harder, to get off of because its pure nicoteen
[post=553710]Quoted post[/post]​

i thought you were smarter then this!!!!!!!

they have doses ....they draw you away from the need....just like heroin addicts....your body thinks it needs it, whe you do the patch or gum you ween yourself off.......but whatever, do what you want to do.....go ahead, go smoke.....dont come back till you do :rant: :rant: :blah: :hide:

Didn't you read that link? Gradual withdrawal doesn't work.

Eliminating the addiction by feedng it is COUNTERINTUITIVE.

Gums/patches are just a way to get pharmaceutical companies a piece of the nicotine pie.

do you know exacly how much nicotine is in a cig...

..and its not the same...remember nicoteen does not kill you..... TAR and the smoke will

So basically you're making yourself addicted to a gum or a patch instead of cigarettes and then justifying it by saying "nicotine won't kill me, at least I'm not breathing death anymore."

What a load.

i tried the gum, and actually liked it... a lot
lol

its got a strange taste, kinda like pepper, but i got used to it...
pretty sad, i know

i quit for a while, a little over a year i think..
and i just got to thinking, why?
i like smoking, i don;t want to quit, i want to smoke, so i started again...

my friends dad passed away last year at the age of 45-ish... from lung cancer
and my friends father JUST died sunday, from lung cancer, actually he got lung cancer last november, they removed a lung did chemo/radiation, the cancer was gone, and then 5 days after he was done with his treatment he got pneumonia, and thats what finally got him...

so if you really wanna quit then really work at it...
what phyregod was saying is a really good way to think about it...
whats stronger, you or a pack of butts?
do you own the butts? or do the butts own you?

some people need aids, like the patch, or the gum...
my friends father from above quit using cough drops...
he always had cough drops with him and kept eating them and never smoked again...
my moms boss (also dead from lung cancer) quit using toothpicks...
from the time i can first remember him he always had a tooth pick in his mouth...
jolly ranchers are a good choice too...

eh, whatever you need B, you know we're here for you...
support could be a huge benefit for you...

B, this is my wisdom. You need a girlfriend that will bitch at you every time you smoke because she doesn't wanna kiss that cigarette mouth of yours. :thumbsup:

Robyne quit cold-turkey and has been doing EXTREMELY well, she hasn't had a cigarette in over three months now, and sicne doing so, she can't stand the smell of them as it makes it sick to her stomach. If you have the will you can do it.

And also, B's mom bought him the gum or patch a few years ago for christmas, he returned it and bought some other stuff. Pretty funny stuff. :)

Nicotine is an addiction at the core of human addictions. It's this way because it doesn't trigger a high - It doesn't trigger anything really. It's only addictive when it's missed. And literally, saying "Go cold turkey" is like asking someone to "Be abstinent". Same addictive chemical pathways are tapped for both.

unfortunately, starting to smoke is opening the rest of your life up to the fact that you can NEVER acheive buddhist nor hindu ideas of non-addicted Consciousness. Or, at least it will be that much tougher to do so.

-> Steve

unfortunately, starting to smoke is opening the rest of your life up to the fact that you can NEVER acheive buddhist nor hindu ideas of non-addicted Consciousness. Or, at least it will be that much tougher to do so.

what the F*CK are you talking about man...?

Originally posted by Callidus+Sep 13 2005, 02:14 PM-->
B, this is my wisdom. You need a girlfriend that will bitch at you every time you smoke because she doesn't wanna kiss that cigarette mouth of yours. :thumbsup:
[post=553737]Quoted post[/post]​

had one a while back, had one in school, hell, i've NEVER dated a girl who smokes in my life. and i've been smoking for what, 8 years now? something like that... 17-25

not that i've dated a lot of chicks, but not a single one of them were smokers. one turned into one over time, but that didn't last long anyway, and i'm pretty sure she doesn't smoke any more.

Originally posted by Bob Vila@Sep 13 2005, 02:20 PM
Robyne quit cold-turkey and has been doing EXTREMELY well, she hasn't had a cigarette in over three months now, and sicne doing so, she can't stand the smell of them as it makes it sick to her stomach. If you have the will you can do it.

been there done that. this isn't the first time i quit...
after about 4 or 5 days, they taste like shit... sometimes even 3 days is all it takes to loose the taste.
literrally, i'd want it so bad, take 1 drag and be like wtf.. gross... and toss it. butt, its that 1 puff....

but all it takes is one moment of no will power, and a couple puffs into it, and the bad taste is gone like that.

when i quit in college, i started smoking cigars as an alternative... those tijuana cigarallo's.. well, after about a week, i was inhaling the full cigar, so i went back to cigs. lol much safer for you. lol

And also, B's mom bought him the gum or patch a few years ago for christmas, he returned it and bought some other stuff. Pretty funny stuff. :)
[post=553739]Quoted post[/post]​

that was a couple years ago.. lol i remeber that. it was like 80 bucks for the system. i think i bought 2 cartons of smokes with the cash :p

Celerity
@Sep 13 2005, 03:20 PM
Nicotine is an addiction at the core of human addictions. It's this way because it doesn't trigger a high - It doesn't trigger anything really. It's only addictive when it's missed. And literally, saying "Go cold turkey" is like asking someone to "Be abstinent". Same addictive chemical pathways are tapped for both.

good thing i'm not E. He can quit smoking at will, but god forbid if you take away his spanking priviledges :D

[post=553775]Quoted post[/post]​

you should really seek professional help......

anyway, 3:35 pm now, and still smoke free. :)

Back