So I'm doing some car shopping...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

Now that the Civic is 90% done, I'm starting to look around at different cars. I want to build a car that's basically all performance. I want it to be stylish and look good, but I'm not gonna go body kit and all that this time. I figure current market value on the civic now that everything's done to it and will be done to it, I could probably take in 9k for it, give or take, which would basically be getting my money back.

Anyway, the cars I'm looking at...

'70s-'80s Datsun 240-280z. Classic. Potential candidate for a mildly built small block.

Mid 80s Jaguar XJS. V12 Stock. Not a lot of power, but they're fuckin huge and I like the body style. Another small-block candidate... possibly a big-block. If Keith can fit a Ford 460 into one, a Chevy 350 should be no problem.

'91-'93 240SX Fastback. Small, RWD, overall decent car. Probably go wheels/suspension/SR20DET on this one.

So yeah, that's the rundown of the recent thinking. As of late, Eclipse GSTs and GSXes are entering my mind, though, which is dangerous because they're pretty quick, but also still FWD. So here's what I'd appreciate some opinions on.

If you guys could just post up here what you think of my current thoughts, that would be great. I really like all these cars, and it's possible that I might be able to trade my civic for a GST... So anyway, Let me know what you guys think... Any personal experiences, "I heard"s and general discussion is most valuable.

Those are some pretty good car selections you got there. If you want all power with pretty decent looks then I would consider tha infamous Buick GN. Granted, the parts are expensive but you cant go wrong with a factory turbo'd six that runs 14's in the 1/4. Now you may not want one because of the cost or you wanna stick to imports, if so I would personally go with the GSX simply for the awd turbo powa :D .

GST are nice and alot cheaper then a nice GSX, They look good dropped and with the logos shaved.

I am pretty much trying to stay not only with imports, but imports that are RWD. The comment about the GST/X being dangerous was because at heart a GSX is still FWD... it still uses a transaxle. I don't want to build it for hard launches though, just to be a pretty quick daily driver. I agree that the GSX sounds good, mostly due to the AWD-ness, which would make handling good I'm sure. Not to mention I know a guy that's got a GST running 13 lbs so I know it will take boost. If I decide to go Eclipse I think I will look for a GST but keep an eye out for GSX. Really, I'd love a GSX not only for the performance but also I'd have the only one in town. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 19 2004, 11:37 PM
Datsun. Buy it, dump the engine, throw in a built V8. Shake, stir, enjoy.
[post=379510]Quoted post[/post]​

That's the idea, Cal. Unfortunately I'm also taking gas mileage into consideration because I drive at least 50 miles a day getting to/from work. And yes, I know that turbo'd fours don't get great mpg either, but they still get better than a built small block.

Hmm... 10mpg average vs. 20-25 average... Raw power's just not that important to me.

I'm just trying to kick around ideas with (seemingly) knowledgeable people at this point anyway. ;)

300zx, sure they're heavy as shit but they just look hot as hell and they're somewhat quick. Just y .02.

RWD is the shit if your gonna compare it to FWD or in some cases AWD.

O yea or a 944 Turbo, but plan on dropping some ???? into it. But they are just fun as hell to drive, no question about it it's worth the extra doe.

Go for the datsun. Check out Hybridz.org. A lot of the guys there running stock LS1's are running 10s!!! Its expensive, arround 10k for the swap, but it is worth it. Hotest car ever, with a beast of an engine:)

DSMs aren't really that bad, are they B? I mean, I can pick up a late 90s GSX for 8 or 9k...

I owned a DSM, just a rebadged Talon Tsi, I liked the car, great pick up. I had nothing but problems with it, and I sold it for a 1k loss after two months, got another civic after that. :)

Miata- RWD good gass great handling
Thunderbird SC- Supercharger, 310ft/tq, faster than a 5.0, all Lux's
Grand Prix GTP- Supercharger, good gas
RX-7- Rotary, good gas, Handling, Light!
Grand National- look above
Trans am WS6- no need to explain
3000GT VR4/ Stealth RT- Turbo 6, AWD can be made faster

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 20 2004, 04:14 AM
Now that the Civic is 90% done, I'm starting to look around at different cars. I want to build a car that's basically all performance.
[post=379476]Quoted post[/post]​

93-97 Supra TT :worthy:

Originally posted by SolPWR+Aug 20 2004, 02:34 PM-->
Miata- RWD good gass great handling
Thunderbird SC- Supercharger, 310ft/tq, faster than a 5.0, all Lux's
Grand Prix GTP- Supercharger, good gas
RX-7- Rotary, good gas, Handling, Light!
Grand National- look above
Trans am WS6- no need to explain
3000GT VR4/ Stealth RT- Turbo 6, AWD can be made faster
[post=379767]Quoted post[/post]​

Miata - too small.
T-Bird SC - not my thing.
GP GTP - ...wtf?
RX7 - Rotaries are teh suck for reliability.
Grand National - wtf is this? never heard of one.
TA WS6 - Insurance...
3Kgt - Insurance... heavy too.

Originally posted by spectacle@Aug 20 2004, 02:48 PM
Battle Pope
@Aug 20 2004, 04:14 AM
Now that the Civic is 90% done, I'm starting to look around at different cars. I want to build a car that's basically all performance.
[post=379476]Quoted post[/post]​

93-97 Supra TT :worthy:
[post=379769]Quoted post[/post]​

I already considered this remember? Insurance y0!

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 20 2004, 07:51 PM
I already considered this remember? Insurance y0!

gotta pay to play homie...if money is such a strong factor, you're gonna be pretty limited on choices unless you find a really good deal

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 20 2004, 02:51 PM

Grand National - wtf is this? never heard of one.

you sir need to step outside the import scene and look into american muscle history... in 1987 buick handed the car over to Mclaren and ASC... what came back in known as a GNX :worthy: http://www.buickgnx.com/

I can appreciate american cars too... just not sedans :p

I don't know, american cars are okay, I just happen to like the combined style and functionality of certain imports.

I have noticed none of you have said anything about the XJS... ?

Back